Join now - be part of our community!

open info to all, and hopefully a sony rep.

profile.country.en_GB.title
arthur071169
New

open info to all, and hopefully a sony rep.

I have a bravia (KDL-55 ex723)

I was VERY unimpressed with the amount of crosstalk, and the fact that I could not tilt my head without the 3d 'going away'.

I received the free filters and popped them onto the glasses.  This is my findings.

• The filters make the 3d image 'more' dynamic, as viewed by alternating between a pair of 3d glasses with, and without the filters.  The contrast (because the filters make the image a 'bit' darker) is more pronounced.  I can now tilt my head quite happily (SONY - use more than one polarization filter for damn sake, as *standard* on your glasses in future... filters as an add on.... really, tsk tsk).
  • using the 'cinema' scene to view 3D movies is now a bad idea.  I have closed cloth blinds behind the telly, and they let some light in by way of being 'backlit' by the sun and 'magnolia' coloured.  When in 'cinema', the amount of flickering is TERRIBLE, and the VFD front of my Sony amp (trs-db930, I think?) flickers like mad.  Go to 'Auto' scene and all flickering disappears immediately.  And yes, I did wait for the panel to warm up, and the glasses to bed in..   I went back to 'cinema' and zero improvement.  This is only after the filters are added.
  • 3D.. when I pause a scene demoing 'pirates of the carribean' in 3d, soldiers in the background are in crosstalk mode, the person in front is absolutely perfect from a 3d viewpoint.  If I manually change the amount of 3d to '+1', the characters in the background are perfect, and the person in the foreground experiences crosstalk.  Clearly the setting needs to be something like +0.25, or +0.5    Sony, PLEASE address this, as not only is crosstalk visible due to the way your screens draw from the bottom upwards, and don't blank quickly enough... but crosstalk is ONLY visible at the top of the screen.

Here is a great review, ..

http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-bravia-kdl-55ex723-p364_10659_16.html

I really hope Sony take onboard the customer feedback, as this was not an inexpensive purchase for me, and I went with Sony as they are a large company who promises to address issues with firmware updates, and improvements to their products.

Arthur071169

6 REPLIES 6
arthur071169
New

Just wondering if Sony staff (Catmambo?) actively look at these messages and pass them onto the relevant people?

As 3d TV is not entirely new, but still not widely adopted, I would have thought our insights into using Sony equipment would be invaluable?  We are after all 'the customer base' that Sony are selling to.

Arthur071169

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Indeed - thanks for the feedback. 3D is obviously still a developing technology and we continue to look at ways in which the experience can be improved, so these kind of comments are always very useful.

warm regards

arthur071169
New

Good to Know.   

I looked at the recently added 3d experience on bravias (internet channels), and once again, the crosstalk is quite noticable on the top 3rd, but is absent in the bottom 2 3rds.

Also, depth of field offers more crosstalk unless you tweak the 3d depth settings, then the crosstalk simply 'relocates'.

If only Sony could Dial in teh reduction at the top of their panels, they would have some truly world class displays.  Sadly, currently, this is not quite true.

arthur071169
New

Sorry Sony, But I have jumped ship.

I got sick and tired of the flicker and ***Awful*** crosstalk from the top 3rd of your panels.

I have purchased an LG FPR 3D television.  Whilst the display is not true 1080p in 3d, I can actually enjoy the experience of watching one or even two 3d movies back to back.

The 2d to 3d conversion is better, and I am not being asked to buy £80 of glasses per person, and then having to contact sony support to get the extra filters to get the glasses 'usable' while tilting my head.

I now have both a sony active shutter panel, and the LG passive display technology panel...

The sony looks great (it should do at the premium for the panel!) in 2D.

The lg is a close second at 2D, but much more pleasurable to watch in 3D.

Sony.... Move forward, or at least get your panels to work better.

:slight_frown:

I shall advise anyone who wishes to watch 3d to strongly consider FPR for cost/performance/quality. (IE not Sony)

Batfinkk

'The lg is a close second at 2D, but much more pleasurable to watch in 3D'

Kind of sums it up nicely as I watch 99% of content in 2D anyway, so I'd prefer to have an excellent 2D TV which does a perfectly reasonble job of 3D for the few times I need it..

profile.country.GB.title
icemanxs
New

hello,

I've got to say that my experience with Sony 3d has also been very disappointing, I got a Sony 3d TV mainly to play 3d games on ps3 but soon noticed that pretty much all games had horrible crosstalk. From what I understand 3d was one of the selling points of the ps3 and its left me unimpressed, how can a company like Sony charge so much money for 3d tvs that don't even work properly with there own technology like the ps3!

I have tried the anti distortion filters and they just make the experience more unbearable with the flickering.

Sorry to sound bitter but I have spent a lot of hard earned cash on this TV and to find out that its doesn't work properly just pees me off.

All I can say is I hope Sony can sort these issues out as they are one of the main companies pushing 3d.