Join now - be part of our community!

A77 front control dial

profile.country.GB.title
BrianB32
New

A77 front control dial

I have an A77 (bought Feb2012) and the front control dial has cracked through and become detached. Has anybody else had this problem? We also have an A65 and an A99, neither of which has yet had this problem but as these parts seem similar on all the models I am concerned that this might become a problem on all the cameras. The A77 and A99 can both be reprogrammed to transfer the functions to the rear dial but the A65 would be a real problem.

4 REPLIES 4
Bieomax

Hi Brian, its not a common problem so I wouldn't worry to much about it happening on other camera's. it sounds like the control dial has had some pressure applied to it? do you know if its been banged around while in transport or anything like that?

either way, you can contact Sony repair and they'll quote you a price or if lucky they may fix for free if its a manufacturing fault but then again they may not.

another option is that you can attempt a diy repair, as sometimes the parts are available through 4sony.co.uk (I repaired an A57 which had its shooting mode dial smashed off, but it involved replacing the full top body plastic, and Sony advised I could buy parts from that website) you'll need to find what the part is called (try Searspartsdirect.com as its good for parts diagrams & names) and give them a call as they don't list the parts on the website, but they should find the part for you and email you a link/price for it. It all depends on how brave you are :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Mark.
profile.country.GB.title
BrianB32
New

Thanks for the reassurance. I am not aware that the camera has had any rough handling but it does get 3 or 4 long distance trips a year with 5,000 to 10,000 pictures per trip.

I have already sent the camera to the Product Repair Centre and await their reply.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Woops, this may fall foul of forum advertising rules, be prepared for editing! (Not by me may I add)

Bieomax

Thats good Brian, can you let us know what they say (always interesting in what things cost)

Mischof67 - i'm unsure if it will as the 4sony site is who sony advised me to get parts from in the UK so they must be an affiliate of some type, and i'd guess at sears site is also albeit an US site. i just wish Sony UK would have as detailed site as sears do for diagrams/parts/part numbers as it would make my hobby of attempting to fix sony/minolta camera's so much easier.