Join now - be part of our community!

A77 severe noise/radio interference

profile.country.en_GB.title
daharri8017
New

A77 severe noise/radio interference

Hi all,

Not long had my A77.  Under dark light i'm having severe problems with some noise type effect.  Infact i dont even think its noise its more like radio interference.  Has anybody seen anything like this before, a PRO im friends with who uses a different brand camera says he's never seen anything like this before and the below isnt even the worst example.

I am literally spending hours sometimes editing photos to remove these lines.  The photo below was only shot in RAW at ISO800 with an external flash. (possibly f3.5 1/60 at a guess, cant remember off top of head).

I'm wondering whether the camera/sensor could be faulty?  I've reported it to Sony as it is still under warranty but still await an initial reply.  Anybody any ideas?  Thanks in advance, David

vertical lines.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

I've never hear of radio interference causing noise on a digital frame.  Looking at the photograph you supplied I'd say for an A77 at ISO 800 you have got a very good result if the photo shown is unprocessed.  The A77 was not famed for its ISO performance especially when you compare it to the A99.  Depending on lighting my old A77 was only good for ISO 1600 tops and I tended to work at 800 or below.

I suggest you submit your camera to Sony for testing just to make sure.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I'm only a hobby photographer, I can't see what lines you are talking about. I can see a couple of white spots,but that's about the lot. Seriously, I'd love to be able to see the lines and be able to understand the degree of examination a pro gives to a picture. I'd love to learn and become more than a hobby photographer. 

daharri8017
New

I've been researching more. Somebody else on another forum has had the same issue. Your correct about the noise, it's not too bad.

It's actually banding. It doesn't happen on all shots but its likely to be some sort of interference from my flash. Using an older F42AM. Only appears when using flash and only appears on some shots with dark backgrounds. I haven't tried this yet but apparently doesn't appear when using flash wirelessly or on a bracket.

Interesting and maybe time to upgrade my flash?!
daharri8017
New

Have a look for vertical lines down the black of the suit. As a guide, imagine they would be about 1inch wide if you were actually standing next to the suit and not viewing this on a picture.

Don't worry about not being able to see them on this example, they are a lot more apparent within editing software (Lightroom).
daharri8017
New

Also more evident at the top middle of the picture on the wall

Having imported the image into PS and played with the contrast I can see the banding more clearly.  I wonder if this is a hotshoe / sync issue but to be honest I am at a lose otherwise.  Does the build in flash produce the same results?  It is also worth ensuring that your camera has the lastest firmware installed just in case.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Thanks for the information, between the guys elbow and the ladies shoulder on the rear wall it looks like the wall is tiled. I can see dark vertical lines on the suit now you come to mention it.

Bieomax

if your getting banding when using a flash it maybe to do with the sync speed and the banding is the camera showing the shutter curtain, what was your shutter speed?.

Was you using the flash wirelessly/cabled or on the body?

Have a play with the Electronic first curtain option in th menus to see if that helps with the issue. Also give the flash contacts a good clean too, as that can cause random things to happen.

Kind Regards

Mark.