Join now - be part of our community!

A99ii - how to request support/log a bug?

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

A99ii - how to request support/log a bug?

I have a new A99ii.  I can't see where to request support - the camera doesn't appear on the support product lists.

I have found a bug (that other's have repeated) but don't know how to log this fact.

Any help please??

Specifically, if I attach a 'dumb' lens (eg by an adapter with no electric contacts)  then take a shot with drive mode 'Lo' the first pic gets taken then the camera locks up until I pull the battery out.  In single shot or other continuous drive modes (Mid, Hi, Hi+) there is no problem.

This suggests a code error in the firmware.

Thanks

Michael

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi mikeyp2000

For contact detaqils, have a look on the Support Pages for the A99ii here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/ILCA-99M2

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi again mikeyp2000.

Thanks for reporting this.

Does the same thing happen with NO lens attached at all? If there are no contacts on the dumb lens, the same thing should happen when no lens is attached.

Friends at Sony are looking into this but have not been able to duplicate the issue.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Hi, Thanks for responding.

I just tested with no lens attached.  Same symptoms.

I note that removing the battery reboots the camera.  Pressing the lens release button also gets things moving again (but it strangely takes another photo when you press the lens release button.)

Cheers,

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Michael,

It rather sounds like pressing the lens release button unlocks the camera which was stuck after the shutter release was pressed and before the shutter fired! This is very odd. Does this also happen when no lens is attached - ie if it locks up with no lens, does simply pressing the lens release unlock the camera? Or does it work only when removing a lens? I must admit that I thought the lens release was just a mechanical lock.

Anyway, Sony Europe are unable to replicate the fault and it will need to be escalated to Japan. It would be of enormous assistance in solving this issue if you would make a short video with another camera or with your smartphone of the symptoms and settings to send to Sony Japan.

Thanks in anticipation.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

This bug is extremely easy to reproduce.  I'm surprised Sony can't manage it.  You don't even need a lens, just the camera.

1) get an A99ii

2) Turn it on with no lens attached or with a 'dumb' lens (with no electrical contacts)

3) set drive mode to Continuous Lo

4) Try shooting a burst of photos

5) It will freeze after the first photo - some buttons work but most camera functions now don't work.  No error message given

6) To cure it:  Remove/replace the battery.  *Or* slightly press the lens release button.

The symptoms are the same either without a lens or with an adapted lens (using a non-electrical adapter) or with a 'dumb' lens with no electrical contacts. (Eg LensBaby Velvet 56/1.6)

Single shot mode, Cont. Mid, Hi and Hi+ are not affected.  Only Continuous Lo (3 fps mode)

Good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks.

I am not lucky enough to have an A99ii so I can't try it.

I'll pass this information on and await a response.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Michael

Sony Japan have replied and asked me to pass this mesage to you:-

We really appreciate your comments.

We confirmed the symptom you pointed out, and just started tackling to solve this. In case you would attach a 'dumb' lens, we would like to suggest you to take a shot with drive mode 'Mid' until we find the solution.

Thanks for your input.