Join now - be part of our community!

External microphone

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonyvee2
Visitor

External microphone

Hi,

I have just bought a Sony DCR-PC9E Camcorder to use for wildlife to go with my still camera. (www.abvwildlifephotography.co.uk) and to replace my previous camcorder. I want to use a shotgun mic on it. However, the information in the manual about where to plug an external microphone in is very poor with only a diagram. It looks as if it should be plugged into the socket marked 'Plug in power' under the Audio/Video flap avbove the 'Back Light' button. However, I have tried this and it doesn't seem to work. My shotgun mic has a switch for off, standard and telephoto. In the off position, with the mic plugged in, surely there should be no sound recorded at all. But there is and it is exactly the same sound as without it plugged in as if the sound is coming from the camera's own mics, not the S/G mic. Switching the S/G mic ON and between standard and telephoto, also makes no diffrerence at all to the recorder sound.

Also, does anyone know if the socket (which ever one it is) is stereo or mono.

Best wishes.

Tony .

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
scav242
Explorer

hi tony

First things first, the mic is plugged in the right place and the socket is stereo.With the external mic plugged in properly it should record sound to the tape, however without some sort of extenal sound monitor, you will not be able to hear whats being recorded,until you play back in video mode.

You could try feeding audio e.g from an mp3 player into the mic plug just to test that it's not your mic that faulty.

mansoor

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Tony/Mansoor :slight_smile:

I have taken a look at the manual which can be downloaded from here (see page 121) .....

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3068332121.pdf

..... and Mansoor is correct to say that you are connecting the microphone to the appropriate socket and also that you will not be able to hear the recorded external sound until you play the video back on your camcorder using a pair of headphones (the built-in speaker will not play the external sound) or when playing it back on a TV.

If you try recording and playing it back on a TV you will be able to tell if the microphone is working correctly.

Thanks,

Simon