Join now - be part of our community!

File numbers change

profile.country.DE.title
Henkpien
Explorer

File numbers change

Sony Alpha A350X

For reasons I can't find out, some files are stored on the memory card with an minus and some are not, for instance like:

-DSC0915 and

DSC0916

Due to this minus sign, the pictures do not appear in order on the PC as obviously, the ones with a minus sign are put before the one without. It makes it difficult sorting pictures. I haven't got a clue why the camera is storing files in this way and would like to know if there is a way of stopping it. It should either store all images begining with a - or non of them.

Your help is appreceated.

Message was edited by: Henkpien

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Henkpien - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Have you tried resetting the filename series by following the actions on page 116 of the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4133499111.pdf

If you backup the contents of your memory card first and then format it, the above procedure should reset the file counter to '0000'.

Let me know if this solves the problem with the minus sign appearing in some filenames.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.DE.title
Henkpien
Explorer

Hi Simon.

It has been a while since I got you answer, I did everything as stated, reformatted the memory card and reset the counter. Non of this helped. Today I went out on a photo trip and on my return I noticed that hbout half of the pictures I took start with DSC and the other half with -DSC.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Henk

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me know what happened. If you have tried everything described, this may be unavoidable and the only other thing that I can suggest is renaming your photo files when you return to a PC. There are various free software options for doing this such as Bulk Rename Utility which is available here:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Thanks,

Simon