Join now - be part of our community!

IDC Colour Cast

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
stevemecrow
Visitor

IDC Colour Cast

Hi,

I have an Alpha 65 and what appears to be an issue with Image Data Convertor.  When I shoot JPEG+RAW and view the images in PMB they look identical and with what appears to be a near normnal colour balance.. However when I open either image (RAW or JPEG) in IDC they are displayed with a pink colour cast. 

Any ideas why that should be?  Is there an adjustment that I'm not aware of in IDC?

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

This has to be a colour management issue & it's odd that Steve should have a cast at default settings when other users don't. It's usually a device profile that's awry (and I recall having magenta casts with some scanners back in the day..) so it might be an idea to check the camera settings.

Go to the A65's Menu > camera settings 2, select [colour space] and make sure it's set to AdobeRGB. Then in IDC change the default colour space for display to AdobeRGB too.

See if that works :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Mick2011
New

Hi Steve, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Every RAW converter gives a different 'look' to your images, sometimes quite striking differences such as colour casts. If you correct that cast in IDC and save the correction value as a default setting, your stuff should open up looking right next time.

Worth remembering that converters interpret file data differently, so there's no innate 'right' or 'wrong' colour balance to the file; the corrections you make to achieve more neutral tones are just another step in that conversion. The images should remain neutral-looking if you export a TIFF or jpg to PMB, for example.

Cheers

Mick

stevemecrow
Visitor

Mick,

Many thanks for your reply. 

The problem arises when I view the image in IDC where there is a pink cast.  In PMB (JPEG and RAW) the image looks to be correctly balanced.

When I adjust the RAW file in IDC to correct the balance and then save the result as a JPEG file, it exhibits a blue cast when viewed using anything other than IDC.  I've checked the IDC settings and everything seems to be OK - it is set to use the camera settings for colour space and white balance.  I've also tried different monitor settings in IDC and there is no impact.

I can only assume that there is a problem with IDC!  I'm using 5.8.00.09123.

Steve

stevemecrow
Visitor

Sorry, its IDC version 4!

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

please check if you have set an other monitor profile than sRGB in the color managment settings of the IDC.

I have compared a color test chart image (JPG) with IDC and PlayMemories (follow up from PMB) and there is no such difference. See screenshots attached (#1: settings / #2: IDC / #3: PlayMemories)

IDC V4 color managment settings.jpgImage Data Converter_4_test chart.jpgplay memories_4_test chart.jpg

stevemecrow
Visitor

Hi,  I've checked the colour management settings and they are as above.  I suspect there is an installation error - even though I've reinstalled IDC and there was no change.  I think the next step is to try another PC and see if it exhibits the same effect.  Its strange as even JPEG images, which are displayed correctly in PMB and other viewers, exhibit the colour cast in IDC.  So the problem is almost certainly IDC!

I'm away from my PC for a few days and will do some more investigating when I return.

Many thanks for the replies - at least I now know the IDC settings are correct.

Steve

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hi

I have done another test, a side by side screenhot (also done this with RAW files): I can see no color cast.

Could you post something similar when you are back?IDC_PMH_colortestchart_sidebyside.jpg

Mick2011
New

This has to be a colour management issue & it's odd that Steve should have a cast at default settings when other users don't. It's usually a device profile that's awry (and I recall having magenta casts with some scanners back in the day..) so it might be an idea to check the camera settings.

Go to the A65's Menu > camera settings 2, select [colour space] and make sure it's set to AdobeRGB. Then in IDC change the default colour space for display to AdobeRGB too.

See if that works :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

stevemecrow
Visitor

All,

I've returned from my travels and experimented with different colour management settings in IDC as suggested.  I did this when the problem first arose, with no effect. 

I switched to the AdobeRGB setting and changed the monitor colour space (from sRGB to one that seemed to be Adobe).  I then returned to the original sRGB settings - the IDC defaults - and suprisingly  the cast has disappeared!  It seems the problem is solved! 

I don't understand why it should have occurred in the first place - very odd!  I suspect a gremlin at work in the depths of my PC - I think its time for a new one.

Many thanks for your suggestions and help,

Steve

Mick2011
New

That's typical profile behaviour, probably not your PC at all. I have no idea why it takes that sort of jiggling to work either, but it's usually a permanent fix.

Until you change something else, of course :wink:

Great to hear you got it resolved!

Mick