Join now - be part of our community!

Language Settings

profile.country.en_GB.title
chipsandchips
Visitor

Language Settings

Hello all,

I live in Japan, and my local electronics retailer caused me some problems with my internet connection. As an apology they offered me an a57 twin lens kit for £300 (a bit reduction). The camera is really nice, and the "apology" was only available for a limited time, so I bought it. The only problem is that the camera menus are all in Japanese.

I can speak Japanese a little, so I can figure out the menus if I have an English copy of the instrucions. I was just wondering if it's possible to change the language/send it into Sony and have them change the language?

Much obliged folks.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi there, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It is common for Japanese manufacturers to make two or more versions of the same camera, one of which will be intended specifically for the domestic (Japanese) market. For various reasons, this version is always 'hard-wired' to the Japanese language. It cannot be changed, even with a firmware update from another region.

Firmware is modified as a 'flashable' memory which is not the same as the camera's fixed internal ROM. I'm really not sure if this is modifiable in any way, but it's almost certainly something that would have to be done as a return-to-base modification.

The only thing I can suggest is that you contact Sony Japan using the online form they provide for the purpose, explaining your problem.

Hope you get somewhere with it; do let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mick