Join now - be part of our community!

Nex 5 & AE2 adaptor - failure to retain image stabalisation with 'A' mount lenses

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Nex 5 & AE2 adaptor - failure to retain image stabalisation with 'A' mount lenses

I have a Nex 5 together with the new adaptor (AE2) for Sony A lenses. Although the image stabalisation works with Sony 'E' lenses it is disabled when the adaptor is added plus an 'A' mount lens. As someone with essential tremor I need the image stabalisation to work.

Is this correct or is there a way to implement this function?

Tags (5)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi kenneve,

I understand your problem, but unfortunately the way image stabilisation is achieved is one of the big differences between the E-mount and the A-mount system.

A-mount cameras (DSLR/SLT) use an in-body image stabilisation (performed by moving the image sensor itself to compensate camera shake).

E-mount cameras (NEX) do not have in-body image stabilisation, but most of the E-mount lenses feature in-lens stabilisation.

Therefore, the option to activate image stabilisation on NEX cameras is only available when an E-Mount lens is attached that features image stabilisation.

The following Sony E-mount lenses feature image stabilisation:

SEL50F18, SEL1855, SEL18200, SEL55210

Sony A-Mount lenses do not feature image stabilisation, because they were originally designed for A-mount bodies that have image stabilisation inside the camera body already.

When taking photos with your NEX-5 + LA-EA2 + Sony A-Mount lens, you will have no stabilisation.

To avoid camera shake, you have to keep the shutter speed pretty fast. The longer the focal length, the higher the danger of camera shake. Usually this little rule roughly applies, for photographers with no tremor:

E.g.:

25mm focal length -> 1/25s = no camera shake

50mm focal length -> 1/50s = no camera shake

100mm focal length -> 1/100s = no camera shake

200mm focal length -> 1/200s = no camera shake

etc.

Based on this, you might have to choose shutter speeds that are 2-3x faster than mentioned above. Just do some test shots to see how you get on. It should not be in issue shooting outdoor when the weather is nice :wink:

When shutter speed is fast and your ambient light is not great, you may have to raise ISO and/or open the aperture to compensate that.

If you want to use your NEX-5 + LA-EA2 because of the faster AF and you need image stabilisation, contact e.g. Sigma, Tamron, etc. and ask about A-mount lenses that are compatible to LA-EA2 (or A77/A65) AND feature in-lens stabilisation.

Good luck!

Jules

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Hi Jules

Many thanks for your very detailed answer, I now understand the problem.

It seems that I have two options:-

1. check out third party lenses eg Sigma, Tamron etc. with the extra expense involved.

2. Junk the Nex 5 and return to my Sony DLSR.

Best Regards. Ken.

profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi Ken,

you are welcome!

Or you can also keep your NEX-5 and use it with the SEL-18-55mm kit lens (features optical image stabilisation) as a light weight travel companion...

Best regards

Jules