Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 7 Viewfinder Problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
ricwest48
Visitor

NEX 7 Viewfinder Problems

I have just purchased a NEX 7 and was looking forward to using the electronic viewfinder which has been winning all the awards as the best viewfinder around. Whilst it works very well outside I have found that mine becomes very "Noisy" indoors even when its still very light.  Darker colours become very grainy ans shimmering. Do I have a faulty viewfinder or or the claims overstated? Be very glad to hear any views or suggestions to improve the situation

2 REPLIES 2
Mick2011
New

Hi ricwest48, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Your viewfinder sounds about right. As the camera atempts to amplify colour information in low light conditions the image will become progressively more grainy, the lower the light levels become.

Some people like it - it allows them to focus in difficult conditions, others find the low-light EVF either too bright or feel it over-compensates, especially in areas where colours are virtually imperceptible anway, spoiling their night vision when the eye is away from the camera.

In this case it might be an idea to set the camera to shoot B&W (in RAW, so you can always get a colour shot out of it later) giving a 'cleaner', more natural-looking view.

Maybe give it a try :thinking:

Mick

ricwest48
Visitor

Thanks Mick - sound logical and I guess I can live with it as the camera is very good in other respects. I also have a Panasonic LX5 and the plug in viewfinder for that does not have the same problem? So perhaps not impossible to achive a grain free design? Something for the Sony design guys to think about?