Join now - be part of our community!

Sony a6000 Eyepiece Cup

profile.country.GB.title
timeasley
Explorer

Sony a6000 Eyepiece Cup

Bought my a6000 soon after release, but one of the things that annoys me hugely is how easily the eyepiece cup falls off. After about a month of using the camera and having a few "close calls", I finally lost this piece.

Since my camera was still under warranty I contacted Sony to ask about a replacement, who told me they don't help with "accidental damage", and gave me the URL of an "official supplier", who wanted £27 for one including their cheapest postage option. Ridiculous.

I contacted Sony customer support and their answer was essentially "tough, it's your fault and not our problem". After explaining that £27 for a small piece of plastic that shouldn't fall off so easily in the first place was ludicrously high, and e-mailing a few more times their answer is still the same. Really not happy with Sony's customer service. They told me if I didn't want to pay £27 to get it, I could send my camera in for repair (what on earth?) but that it would cost "much more".

Anyway, I ended up buying the piece from Japan via eBay, which was only £10. I say "only" but £10 is still a lot for a small piece of plastic. I talked to their Twitter team, who didn't seem to understand the issue, and told me to try here, at the Sony community pages. No idea why, but here I am!

Has anyone else had this issue and attempted to get Sony to sort it out with any success?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.DE.title
r_a_n_i
Expert

Hi all,

I had a similar issue with my A6000 during the first weeks of use I almost lost the eyepiece cup. Always when I put the camera back to my case it was falling off.

The only thing what I did was to push the eyepiece cup a bit harder on the Camera, now it is mounted very well, and since then i never had issues again, and this are a few months.

Hope this will help you too.

effluxion
Explorer

I ordered FDA-EP10.

This is NOT the same part as FDA-EP16. FDA-EP10 is hard plastic. FDA-EP16 is soft.

Part FDA-EP16 is not available.

I'm returning the camera to the store now. I actually want this resolved because the a6000 is a great Camera but Sony are the worst company I have ever dealt with. I'm looking at Samsung and Panasonic gear now for the future. Samsung in particular due to APS-C sensor size.

Russtafa
Explorer

Do not disagree with you about the eyepiece cup but to go and just dismiss Sony over this is fairly ridiculous.

Since I got my a7Rii then I went to buy an A6000 as something lighter I could carry in my rucksack each day I have never looked back.

Used to have 2 x Panasonic GH4's

Got the Sony a7Rii got rid of one of my GH4's immediately

My other GH4 gathers dust right now but I do like the SloMo on it and just having something "different" once in a while.

Also have an Olympus OMD EM5 Mk2 which is a totally lovely camera but have just given that to my eldest daughter so it will get used.

I work in Post Production and took up photography fairly recently.

A large proportion of our media ingest is from Sony cameras like the F55.

Got a bit "side-tracked" on the MFT way of things.

Realise my mistake and Sony simply put, have the best sensor technology in the market.

Match that up with the inrush of E Mount lenses then voila you are on the right track.

I have a few E mount primes to buy and the main item on my shopping list for most likely early 2016 is the wonderful and fantabulous Sony FS5.  

Know the FS7 pretty well and I am going to have one heck of a good time in 2016!!!

WilhelmS
New

You can buy a replacement cup for £5.99 at Amazon. But of course that comes off just as easily. What a poor design in an otherwise so good camera! 

profile.country.GB.title
ctindill
New

I bought 3, the first fell off just as easily, as I use the eye piece most
of the time I superglued the second, and happily have had a remaining spare.
This worked for me but still does not change Sony's poor design.
effluxion
Explorer

The eyecup is also completely disfunctional. It doesn't block out light properly at all.

To add furthe here as to why I will never buy a Sony camera again. I just noticed that you can't sign in to the Playmemories site from Sony cameras now. The recaptcha doesn't work and since I do not have the latest OSX version, I have no way to update apps. Apps which don't work correctly anyway with the A6000 and probably still don't.

Anyone thinking of buying Sony should not think further. The only thing these cameras have going for them is a good sensor. The design and implementation of everything else is shockingly bad.

profile.country.GB.title
ctindill
New

I had the same problem on my A6000, but managed to get some cheap eye pieces and added a bit of superglue! It solved the problem which Sony should have solved.

I have also lost the eyepiece from my Alpha, so Sony want £27 for a new one? Well, a simple plastic injection moulding like that will literally cost 1p to make, so that represents a 2,700 fold rise in profit - an absolute scandal. But at the end of the day, we as consumers have a decision to make and I have already made mine - this is definitely the last Sony product I will buy.