Join now - be part of our community!

'Warranty Out Of Region!?"

sarahsultanax
Explorer

'Warranty Out Of Region!?"

So I bought a Sony A5000 while in NYC from BestBuy and 2/3 months later it came up with the error message 'lens not recognised'. So I went to a camera shop to see what the problem was. The guy there saw the camera and knew exactly what was wrong with it before I even opened my mouth. The problem was with the lens not the body as it worked with a different lens. The lens I'm currently using is the orginal one I bought.

I tried all the steps that Sony said on the forum page and nothing worked. So I googled, youtubed etc and that didn't work either.

So I called Sony UK twice and they told me my warranty is out of region therefore it's only valid in the US?? They told me I should call up Sony US and sort it out with them. Like whyy??? They are the same company who cares where you bought the camera its a SONY camera!! I should be able to get the camera fixed for free in the UK!!

Then I called Sony US, which I don't know how much it had cost me, they left me on the line for so long. I explained to them the above and they said they needed a US phone number and zip code to send the package to, so I could send the camera for repair. I guess I hadn't made it clear that I was from the UK even though I mentioned it like 5 times and my accent hadn't given it away! He goes do you not have any relatives or friends etc. I said no I don't and he said either I have a US address or I pay for the repair in the UK. So annoyed, I told him I want to speak to someone else. Which I did after being held on the line for 5 mins, she said I could ship my camera off to the US for an In Warranty service but I'm responsible for all the charges in shipping the product. And that they need a US address to ship it back to or I have it repaired in the UK at my expense??

I did not just pay for a camera that I couldn't afford in the first place for it to break then have all that said to me. I'm a student, I bought the camera for UNI! I cannot afford to fix it?!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

My friend had the same issue with his A5000, luckily he purchased it from Amazon and was still in warranty, so got a replacement.

Unfortunately though, most products have a warranty only in the country from where it was purchased, that's just the way it is. :slight_frown: