Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
frankie1g

No not even a confirmation of my email  Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.IE.title
Frady1

For double the price or even more you will get a Samsung or Panasonic with satellite built-in.

It was a bit too much to pay.

But thanks for the suggestion.

I figured out how to get rid of the subtitles that were on after every channel switch.

Just in case it is of any use to anybody.

Home-Settings-Channel setup-Digital setup-Subtitles setup-Subtitles off.

Easy when you know how but Sony support took 35 minutes to tell me to do a factory reset which of course was of no use and wasted my time.

cozzykim

@Frady1

My apologies, I missed that you were talking about the HD version of the TV, not 4K.

I haven't researched the alternatives at that price range, because we thought we'd go the whole hog when we bought a new TV that we hope will last 5 years.

I think the HD versions of these TVs are a bargain, if Sony ever make them work properly.

julianblack

Hi @webvamsi666.

I haven’t used optical output from my LG 55UF860V as my soundbar supports ARC. I know that HDMI is definately passing DTS through HDMI and I cannont see any reason for the optical output to be the same.

What will be a possible deal breaker for you is that the LG Content Store is somewhat limited compared with the Google Play Store on the Sony Android TV. There is no Kodi. This is not an issue for me as I'm running Kodi on a Mac mini used as a dedicated media server.

I like the fact that WebOS 2 is leaner than the Android OS in the Sony TVs. It is quicker and much, much more reliable. I really have to be trigger happy with the remote switching between apps like Netflix and Amamzon Instant Video before I perceive any lag as memory is being purged. I've had the LG 6 weeks, performed one automatic software update and the TV has NOT crahsed once.

Thanks, Julian.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

just had an e mail from Sony requesting my phone number in order to discuss this tv, should be an interesting conversation when it happens - will report back afterwards.

Not expecting anything to come of it...................

NickCo1979

I'll have a guess at their end of the conversation....

We're sorry the TV hasn't lived up to your expectations. We're working on fixing the issues you've identified, please bear with us whilst we release updates to sort it out.

Essentially blowing wind up your ass. If you press hard they might send you a free bit of tat.

Let me know how close I get..... :wink: 

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

will let you know how it goes, have 3 pages of bullet points to discuss with them!

but i think your suggested response will be spot on!

walshy5050

Well day one of my new replacement tv and every time I go to do something I get a message unfortunately hbbtv launcher has stopped this is a joke a day old tv 

scoopy6

Hi again Sony

When we change channels the screen always tells us "screen format full", which we don't need, but does not say what the new chanell is, which would be useful.

Would you kindly adust this please?

49X8309C in uk
bluraypete
Explorer

@julianblack  @royabrown Thanks for your replies, I don't normally post anything on forums so this is an exception for good reason. Does everyone else have the same problem as me when visitiing TV shops. Only have 2 "high st" stores where I live, one had Sky Sports HD (1K) fed over numerous daisy chained HDMI so the picture wasn't that great, and the other had a shop demo over HDMI also 1K on some sets apart from the Sony's which had their own 4K memory stick stuck in USB. I asked for a remote for a Samsung and reluctantly got one and tried the Sony memory stick in it but it wouldn't play (that makes sense) but after playing around with the remote I got the samsung to play the 4K demo that seemed to be stored on the set. I would have thought they would all be showing a 4K picture if they are trying to sell them. And why can't they have a normal terrestrial aerial input so at least you can tell what the upscaling is like etc. After having a play with an LG as well and looking for issues on the web with them both I am going for the Samsung UE55JS8500. Seems to be a good all rounder, may not be perfect but seems more stable than the Sony and at least my wife can use it.