Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
moorfielddt5
Explorer

Have problems both with and without sound stage.

I have tried changing stage input from optical to hdmi and sound field modes and changing TV input source.

Only temporary fix is turn off holding power button for 5s so that TV. Problem comes back after a few hours. Appears more so with streaming TV.
willapp
Explorer

Can I ask how long you've had your TV for John Lewis to give a full refund? I bought a 65" Bravia 4k last July and its getting to the point where I'm fed up making excuses for all the problems with it!

I've not read all the other posts on this thread but my main issues are the sound sync, constant slow down of the UI, apps crashing randomly, sometimes unable to reboot the TV from the remote or the power button - have had to pull the plug on it many times.

I'm starting to think that if John Lewis would give me a full refund, or even a decent one, I'd go back and buy the Samsung version I originally wanted until I got sucked in by how much cheaper the Sonys were! Anyone else had experience of getting refunds from John Lewis on these Sony sets?

cozzykim

@willapp wrote:

Can I ask how long you've had your TV for John Lewis to give a full refund? I bought a 65" Bravia 4k last July and its getting to the point where I'm fed up making excuses for all the problems with it!

I've not read all the other posts on this thread but my main issues are the sound sync, constant slow down of the UI, apps crashing randomly, sometimes unable to reboot the TV from the remote or the power button - have had to pull the plug on it many times.

I'm starting to think that if John Lewis would give me a full refund, or even a decent one, I'd go back and buy the Samsung version I originally wanted until I got sucked in by how much cheaper the Sonys were! Anyone else had experience of getting refunds from John Lewis on these Sony sets?

I bought our 55X8509 from JL on August 1st and returned it mid December.

See my previous post for details but, basically their "technical assistance" dept argued the toss when we said we wanted to return it citing complaints similar to yours.

I stood my ground, saying that it was not "fit for purpose" and that I was not going to accept a "repair", as it couldn't be repaired. I mentioned the then 300+ pages of complaints here and he was still politely refusing to accept it for refund.

I said that we were NOT leaving without the refund and that we'd leave the TV there (it had been accepted at the collections/returns counter already) and then go to the County Court to start a small claims procedure.

Eventually he agreed to "see his boss" and then that they would "refund it just this once" (handily, as I only wanted one refund not 2 or 3 :nauseated_face: ).

We walked out with a refund to our card, but not before I'd asked him "off the record" whether he was au fait with what I was talking about, to which he replied that, yes he knew exactly what the problems with these TVs are and that they'd had loads returned.

A friend who bought a 65" Android Bravia on my original recommendation based on the published spec returned theirs to JL after a few months (outside the 90 day window) and had no arguments at all, they were even given a voucher for the cafe to have a meal while the paperwork was processed..

Go for it - it's NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE by any stretch of the imagination.

We've got a Sammy UE55JU7000 instead, and very happy with it. :trophy:

JuHitZ
Explorer

Hello

My TV KD-55X8509C has the lip sync issue from optical output. Anyone else having the same problem?

I'm running PKG3.169.0100EUB.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@moorfielddt5

OK, just the regular, known, lip sync issues with these sets. As you say, it works for a bit after a reboot, which is completely indicative of a software problem, either when the running code eventually passes through the Muff_Up_Lip_Sync subroutine, or the more general Muff_Up_Anything one.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
oodles2do

I'm running PKG2.645.0052EUB and I've got my sound bar hooked up with the HDMI arc, so that I can control it with the TV remote and I haven't noticed any lip sync issues. I used to use the optical and I did have issues, so I don't know if it's the software update or the HDMI connection that solved the lip sync.

profile.country.IE.title
Frady1

I'm still getting to know my KDL43W755C.

Getting there with the optimum picture but the motion is a big problem, a fair amount of blur or ghosting.

Any suggestions on how to get the best from the motion flow settings would be appreciated.

Downloading Kodi sorted out reading all the files from my hard drive.

I also seem to regularly get  a lip sync issue especially on BBC 1 from the satellite feed. 

Any ideas why this happens?

davidwanless
Explorer

Well I am a week into having the KD-49x8005c and many things I love but oh my god there are serious problems!

Black screen but with the sound playing. Also if you turn the tv off with the remote the screen goes off but the sound continues for 5-6 seconds which is just bizarre! Also the Youview app needs some serious work as loads of channels have 'no information available' yet on the normal digital guide its all there. 3 times now i have had to turn the power off at the socket after using youview the night before. So in the morning you get absolutley nothing no sound, no screen.

Sony you should know better I know there have always been delays with sony tvs turning off etc which in itself is weird that this hasnt been fixed but the above is just ridiculous. Mercedes Benz wouldnt make an electric car then put it out on the market only for customers to write in saying it stops every 5 mins. We expect and deserve better.

What I am really concerned about is that the support site says there is a new firmware update being made and ready for the end of february which will address most of the above but it said the same back in october when readying the december update!!!! Please make sure it fixes it this time!!

Thanks

scoopy6

Re. "...the sound continues for 5-6 seconds which is just bizarre! Also the Youview app needs some serious work as loads of channels have 'no information available' yet on the normal digital guide its all there. 3 times now i have had to turn the power off at the socket after using youview the night before. So in the morning you get absolutley nothing no sound, no screen..."

In case it provides any clues, with YouView and most other things disabled, for the first time in 5 months we have anyway started getting the persistent sound when switching to standby.

It is otherwise not too bad but it's probably time to do another power-off restart because it seems as if errors pile up over time: Instead of reverting directly to watching Tv from something else, we try to retrace any steps taken ealier, and imagine that this helps to put off such problems.

49X8309C in uk
Csg3060

I also am disabling apps in the hope getting a moore stabile tv. 

Sony ought to provide a list of the minimum apps needed to use the tv, or at least a list of the functions of the apps. Some of  the names is nonsens to ordinary users.