Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I've added another hint related to toggle the screen format on the home setting menu (since you cannot via action menu) before togglinf the fit/expand. Just a try not a proven solution though

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi. Thanks very much but I'm not sure what you mean by "I've added a hint"   Where did you add it? Can you say what the possible workaround is in a new reply? Thanks again. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just go via home button to the display setting toggling the value you have on screen format....

7-Zark-7
Explorer

@dazworld wrote:

Both the software and hardware are proven to be issues on the sets.

The software is unfortunately poor, and the hardware is not powerful enough to handle the software.

If the software is updated, the set will run even slower. Software companies' first priority is looking at the current, new modes as these are the ones being sold.

2015 Android TV's are already a dog; they'll become more of a dog with Marshmallow.

My Android wear smartwatch performance got a little better and more stable with the upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow.  My phone stayed the same - really quick before, really quick after.  I don't see any reason why a Marshmallow upgrade would degrade performance, if anything it should be more stable as it's a refinement of the base OS.

As for performance, for running typical smart TV apps such as streaming clients, EPGs and general UI, the hardware in the 2015 sets should be perfectly OK for 1080p.  I have an Xperia tablet with lesser specs and a 1080 screen and it runs just fine.  Maybe 4k might ask too much performance-wise though, I have nothing to compare it to so I can't say one way or the other.

Assuming Sony keep Android TV as their OS of choice for their smart TVs, the ancilliary apps (Youview, Netflix, Youtube etc.) should keep getting updates.  It'll be quite a while before Android TV apps stop supporting Lollipop let alone Marshmallow which is on the way.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi. There isn't an option called screen format under the display options. . Do you mean the 'wide mode' setting which has full zoom normal etc? I know it seems very simple to you but it needs very specific details otherwise I can't follow you 😂  Thanks again. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Yes it's that one. Don't remember the choice you have but for sure do not set it to wide zoom.  Try resetting also the auto wide option if set to on

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Ok thanks. But no that doesn't make any difference. I've seen this issue is on the list of faults reported to Sony and has been for months. I assume they don't think the relatively few people that use dlna make it an issue of any priority. (Even though it's clearly an easy and quick fault to fix)  Thanks for your help though. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Garymjh I'm sorry it didn't work. Just for you to know I'm using Video only via DLNA as I think most of the people since it's far better to connect the HDD to a PC or even a NAS than directly to the TV. And for me is working(KDL43W805C), so  your problem it's not related to this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh @rooobb

Hi both

From my understanding on the 'stretched' aspect ratio when streaming via DLNA to the Video app is that even though the software versions are the same, it appears that this problem is isolated to 4K TV models.  This was determined by some testing by German customers and documented on the German forums.  Info has been forwarded on to the technical team.

Cheers

PS: hopefully this answers your question Garymjh - sorry for delayed response, just have a few days break :wink:

mattface

In case anyone who was reading this thread when I was posting is still around, I got my warranty replacement KDL-55W805C TV and sold it on ebay for just below what I paid for the original TV. It was less than the cost of taking Amazon to small claims.

Sony finally got back to me with a compensation offer for having no TV for 6 weeks, an extra 3 months warranty! WOOO! I gave it to the new owner.

As a parting statement:

To any new people who are still in the returns timeframe and are coming here for answers, please please just return it and buy something else.

Don't think "oh it might get better", take off your rose tints and heed my warning RETURN IT NOW.

By the time you realise you've spent months telling yourself how nice your shiny new TV is, you will be too late to return it or face a legal fight on your hands. These TVs should never have made it to production.

They won't get fixed in future upgrades. If you do a firmware upgrade, you run the risk of getting a brick. I did.

Despite the Mythbusters test results, you can't polish a turd, and these Sony TVs are turds of the highest turdyness.

To anyone who offered suggestions and help, thanks very much it was appreciated, and to everyone still continuing on with their TVs I hope they are good to you.

Ta-ra!