Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@kabedin28 It seems a lot of people suggest ther is a need to do a factory reset after an update. 

The problem is that at the end of the update your apps and custom configuration are intact but after the factory rest All apps you have installed and any setting changes you have made are lost. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
EggDublin

Yes, casting is back for me too - happy days! :tongue:

In the end I brought my 55X8509 back yesterday as I was really worried about the crackling sound it made and the temperature of the base of the unit (it was very hot to touch). As was said earlier in the thread, they are blaming a faulty PCB for this which causes the TV to overheat (Sony told the shop this apparantly). I exchanged it for a new one and the crackling issue is not on this one and it runs at a normal temperature.

All in all the replacement 55X8509 is much better and also the new firmware has sorted a lot out. There's still a number of annoying issues and missing features which I hope will be sorted soon Sony. 

SingingDwarf

@Anonymous No, its not the batteries or a stuck key unfortunately!

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Anonymous

Hi

I tried Kodi but since I am using a network hard drive I am unbale to specify the path to the folders. any ideas?

mikedino
Explorer

Excellent news on the Casting working! Very quick response from Sony too.

haberdavid

When i am Casting youtube from my android phone to the tv i hear on the tv only the sound but there is black screen with no picture. anyone has this problem?

I watched Beast of No Nation on Netflix yesterday, and everytime I paused and pressed play again, a loud "bzzt" / buzzing sound would appear out of my surround - the same with 5.1 content on Plex, but not when I use the Sony Video app?

The wierd thing is, that the issue doesnt appear in the store...

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@NicolaiLarsen91

Same here! Was watching some stuff on Netflix last night with surround on, every time I paused and restarted I got that sound.  Same with SKY! 

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Not sure if this is a bug / by design or 'nice to have'..

I use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard which works well with my 43W805C, when using some apps such as Opera browser. But when using the Home screen and some other apps, the mouse buttons do not work although the cursor does. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.

@theshamelessmanc wrote:

@NicolaiLarsen91

Same here! Was watching some stuff on Netflix last night with surround on, every time I paused and restarted I got that sound.  Same with SKY! 

after you installed the Android 5.1.1 update, did you reset your tv?

I didnt with mine, but the ones in store was all reset after the update - maybe thats a "work around fix"