Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
dataghost
Explorer

Im now personally of the opinion that this set needs to be recalled unless the next update resoved 90% of the problems.  Sony should exchange these sets with its newer equivilent which presumably doesnt have these issues.  Lets face it that wont happen.  Here is my experience last night where I went to perform basic actions and the TV crumbled into a spazmodic mess:

The tv was off and I wanted to watch Netflix.  I turned it on whereby it started up in the home area rather than a channel.  Not sure why but anyway, I gave a chance to load the suggestions before pressing anything else.  Then I pressed the Netflix button which did nothing.  I pressed it again, nothing.  Then for no apparent reason the screen went black, with each button press it would go a slightly lighter shade of black and then back to deep black.  Unable to do anything with the TV (including the power button reboot proceedure) I pulled the plug.  The TV restarted and I tried again, this time it started up on a channel.  I pressed the Netflix button, nothing, then after a length of time the YouView mini guide appeared over the picture.  I waited then eventually pressed the Netflix button again, nothing.  Then to my absolute astonishment the screen went black again as before and the TV would not respond to any commands at all.  Eventually I had to unplug again and this time i finally managed to load Netflix.

Lets compare that to the Netflix experience on my iPad (and many other devices):  I touch the Netflix app, it loads instantly, I click on what I want to watch, it begins playing.

I purchased this TV via a buy now pay in 6 months contract.  I havent looked into my options yet (if I have any at all) but surely the customer must have some protection from this kind of quality.  Its an expensive TV and its OS barely functions.

The TV is listed on Amazon UK but odly there is only one review.  Something I find strange for what I would imagine is a popular set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YN3RWOM?ref_=cm_aya_orig_subj

I encourage you to leave reviews, which you can do even if you didnt purchase it from Amazon.

MrLizard

Interesting to hear that someone else is running in to problems with All 4. I've used it a bit this week and aside from a crash on startup it has been fine. No idea how to consistently replicate the issue, although it would seem to still be present.

ccretzan
Explorer

My 55X8905C resetted itself and then got stuck at "Connecting to Google..." And there is nothing I can do get it out of this. I tried to unplug, to do a power reset, but everything ends there. Anyone knows how to solve this? Perhaps a Factory Reset wich can be performed without getting into the menu?

rolandscriven
Explorer

Hi,

How did you get ALL4? I tried sideloading the normal android version after dowloading to another device and transferring the APK. But every time I start it, it crashes. Many thanks.

Janekch

@Folkfanger You are right what you said above. I checked system proprety in my 55x5809 using kodi aplliication. Truth is cruel-cheap procesor mediatek, RAM 1.5 GB used  memory 70% during watching only TV channel and 8 GB hdd used 80%without installing android applications I have sony's ones only , graphic card mali- t624. I have tablet lenovo which has 2gb ram 16 GB hdd is much better than my expensive TV . If we compare TV hardware to good tablets or Sony tablets we will see that TV is like a cheap chineese tablet. Other way everybody can buy TV box on eBay for 50 pounds and one more better than TV. I bought TV to have twin sat tuner, pip/PAP and hdd recording and some smart applications only. I do not use Youview but I am not happy with it in my opinion this product should never have been sold. I look forward to new updates if anything will not change I will return my TV.

SDCEGavster

Hello again,

After reading this forum for weeks and weeks without any real problems, I decided today to check the new on-demand apps from the most recent update. I use the BBCiPlayer app all the time and it works fine. So, when I read that the All 4 app was causing someone problems I thought I'd better check.

To my totally disbelief, I found that I can't even use it without YouView!!???  What?? Why??  

Demand 5 works separately, likewise BBCiPlayer. But ITVPlayer and All4 – no.

As I use my Humax Foxsat box for TV input (to my KD-L55X8507) I have no need for YouView, so did not set the TV button to digital, etc (when asked by YouView). 

I've been very patient.

Is it really FACT that ITVPlayer and All4 can't run autonomously??  :anguished:

Edited - profanity.  Fran_M

dataghost
Explorer

So what's the consensus? Do we think that the tv has enough processing power to run an update that will allow this TV to work properly? Or do we think it's heading for a recall?

Twobins

@dataghost wrote:

So what's the consensus? Do we think that the tv has enough processing power to run an update that will allow this TV to work properly? Or do we think it's heading for a recall?

Can't see them doing a recall when all they seem to be doing up to now is denying anythings wrong. I think a lot of purchasers aren't putting these TVs through rigorous use and as such aren't aware of their many shortcomings - and many will be using Sky boxes / dedicated Freesat recorders or Youview boxes. My guess is Sony will learn from our complaints and make the 2016 models better. We won't get any thanks for helping them do this - in fact we have paid for the privilege. I was lucky I was able to return my set a few months ago but was waiting to see if they could fix the problems as I was hoping to buy back as I really liked the look of the set. The recent comments since the last update have influenced me not to buy another 2015 Sony. I'll be looking for an 802 Panasonic on Black Friday. 

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

@dataghost Sony are never going to do a recall. Too bad for image and I don't see their image being questioned too much outside of this closed forum, so why would they?

My guess is the processor isn't up to the job, the memory is too small, the operating system is poorly written and Sony will have to fix these issues for the 2016 models.

The question is not about what Sony are going to do, it's about what the current owners are going to do.

Nearly forgot to mention, the other issue is Sony clearly have licencing issues with youview.

livehappy
Explorer

Hello, 

I am really in a conflict here. shall I buy it or no. 

common sense after reading all this is to run away from it. 

geeky stupid curious me is telling me go ahead and buy it . 

is it really impossible to use. my wife will  probably use it just to watch youview (essentialy) I have a youview box if the installed youview does not really work. 

I also have another two devices that will be connected to it. a PS4 and an XBMC box  ( kodi ) which i guess can get rid off if the android OS works fine and I am able to install kodi. 

my current tv is being funny. time to change. i so want to buy but reviews everywhere making me hestitate.

just to add : those two TVs what is exactly the difference as I cant really tell : 

Sony KD-43X8305C and Sony KD43X8309CBU . the first is from amazon, the second is from PCworld

any real honest advise from this set owners will be great. 

Thanks