Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

Sky doesn't do 1080p for a start. If it's a Sky HD box then it'll have an hdmi.  Only reason for watching over co-ax would be if the box isn't next to the TV, so using the rf out. If that's the case then a start wont help! 
frankie1g

Sky does 1080 i  Sent from my Samsung device
elraouk

@frankie1g wrote:
Sky does 1080 i  Sent from my Samsung device

Apologies, it does of course do 1080i - my eyes must have invented a phantom 'P' in the original message! 

Rest of what I said is still true though, if it is a Sky HD box then it will have an HDMI, so there has to be a reason for using co-ax which would not be solved using SCART.

@HenryHallsDanceBand might help people giving advice if you cleared up exactly what equipment / connections you had (and now have). 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@elraouk wrote:
Sky doesn't do 1080p for a start. If it's a Sky HD box then it'll have an hdmi.  Only reason for watching over co-ax would be if the box isn't next to the TV, so using the rf out. If that's the case then a SCART wont help! 

Indeed so; a friend of mine who did not want a cable all down the side of the house insisted Sky put his HD box where the existing satellite cable came in to the loft, and then endured the unsatisfactory fist that RF made of his HD channels for about five years.

But at least no-one tried to sell him a YouView box as the solution!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Sad, just sad

elraouk

@royabrown wrote:

Indeed so; a friend of mine who did not want a cable all down the side of the house insisted Sky put his HD box where the existing satellite cable came in to the loft, and then endured the unsatisfactory fist that RF made of his HD channels for about five years.

But at least no-one tried to sell him a YouView box as the solution!

Was like that in my house when I moved in, but it wasn't HD back then.  Now have the Sky HD box under the stairs and use one of these http://www.hdanywhere.co.uk/multiroom-hd-matrix.html to pipe it via Cat6 cable to four locations.  No noticeable loss in quality, bit or IR lag.   Lucky for me I had the whole house wired with multiple cat6 cables, so this was an option (but not a cheap one).

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@elraouk wrote:

Was like that in my house when I moved in, but it wasn't HD back then.  Now have the Sky HD box under the stairs and use one of these http://www.hdanywhere.co.uk/multiroom-hd-matrix.html to pipe it via Cat6 cable to four locations.  No noticeable loss in quality, bit or IR lag.   Lucky for me I had the whole house wired with multiple cat6 cables, so this was an option (but not a cheap one).

That link 404s, as the ' to' crept into it :worried:

This link works, though. As you say, not cheap.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ronniebr
Explorer

Last night I noticed a new "feature" or lack of one.

The "Featured Apps" section had disappeared from my home screen so there was no way to access YouView or iPlayer, All4, etc.  I tried rebooting but that made no difference so I gave up until today when I had more time to do a factory reset which did work.

elraouk

I noticed featured apps wasn't there when I wasn't connected to the internet. 
ronniebr
Explorer

@elraouk That was my first thought as well but the network icon at the bottom of the page seemed to think the connection was ok and I even tried going into the system app update page in settings and the my apps update page in the play store just in case and both said I was up to date.

At least this time after the factory reset I was still able to cast NowTV to the Sony.  I tried to avoid doing a factory reset after the December 10th update because the factory reset I did after the initial YouView update made NowTV think it was a new device and since you are only allowed to add one device a month I ended up not being able to cast to the TV for weeks.