Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
julianblack

Assuming that the TV is in a stable enough state to allow you to perform a controlled restart by means of a long button press on the remote.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

Quinnicus, yep that does seem similar. It's coming from the area at the back where the power cable connects. It definitely sounds like an actual component at fault rather than just the frame 'creaking' or anything, especially when it happens every 10 seconds exactly.

giolive56
Explorer

any news on the usb recording issues?

how can they get away with this??? this functionality was the main reason for buying the TV!!

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

TheVoice wrote:

My TV (KDL-50W805C) has recently started emitting a click/tick every 10 seconds from the rear-right (with it facing towards you). It's definitely not thermal expansion, it's every 10 seconds regularly and it sounds like it's coming from a component inside.

My advice - and this is coming from a trained, qualified technician - is to turn the set off, disconnect it from the wall and call in either Sony or your retailer's support line.  A switch-mode power supply making regular 'clicking' or any kind of arcing or 'fizzing' noises is really NOT a healthy thing!  - It actually needs the attention of someone with real expertise to look at it to make sure it's safe to be plugged into the mains!! 

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Before the end of March...currently
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@julianblack wrote:
Assuming that the TV is in a stable enough state to allow you to perform a controlled restart by means of a long button press on the remote.

Sent from my iPad

Indeed so. In the case that it isn't, though, and a power cycle is the only thing that will get it back, a long press reset would always be my next step, to put the set in a known, regular state again where it only had the usual problems, and not any 'specials' that had crept in by clobbering your running state.

We really have no idea what is going on in there - even after one of these sets has returned from a software update, it can spend up to 30 minutes titivating itself further, with no indication to the user what it is doing, or when it has finished 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
adyjay33

Let the TV fail, it could be an inherent fault that affects all their TV'S just like the Android problems.

At least if it is then they will have to recall all these crap TV's and replace them with the new Quad Core ones.

Can't believe that a mobile phone with Android works perfectly yet a TV set that is so much bigger in size can't work properly,  what is wrong with Sony to produce inferior products that don't work properly or do what they promised to do?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

Problem there is that then I'm stuck without a TV while it's being repaired or replaced! I'll speak to Sony on Monday but unless they're going to replace it with a brand new one (third time lucky?) I'll have to persuade Amazon to take it back instead.

Such a disappointment. My previous TV - a Sony KDL-40EX403 - was great (after I had the panel replaced a month into ownership). Beginning to wish I'd just kept it now.

adyjay33

3 times replaced plus your previous had its panel replaced and you still want a Sony?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!

@Unhappy_43x8309_owner wrote:

The search is fairly usless isn't it? Luckily google indexes the forum so you can use the 'site' option to search the thread for specific keywords. If you put the following into google it will search this thread on the keyword 'hdr' and return the reuslts in the normal fashion

site:community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues hdr

In your case : site:community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues "amazon video"

(in speech marks so it searches as a phrase) might show up something useful.

Thanks for the help on using googles index to search the forum, I really hadn't thought to use that.