Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
alwhite40

@Risc0n wrote:

Have you tried both a reset all picture settings and factory reset? With these Android TV's it is best practice to do a factory reset due to the firmware being a full update rather than incremental. This is why it takes so long to update!

Also if it is the AV 2200W / 3200W then have a post in here https://www.avforums.com/threads/denon-avr-x2200w-avr-x3200w-owners-thread.1970691/page-70

Yes, have done several factory resets both after purchasing the TV and downloading the March update, then after the April update.

I've eliminated the Denon receiver (AVR-2310) as having anything to do with the problem.  Disconnected everything except the aeriel and I got the same picture settings problem with Digital TV/YouView.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@alwhite40 wrote:

@Risc0n wrote:

Have you tried both a reset all picture settings and factory reset? With these Android TV's it is best practice to do a factory reset due to the firmware being a full update rather than incremental. This is why it takes so long to update!

Also if it is the AV 2200W / 3200W then have a post in here https://www.avforums.com/threads/denon-avr-x2200w-avr-x3200w-owners-thread.1970691/page-70

Yes, have done several factory resets both after purchasing the TV and downloading the March update, then after the April update.

I've eliminated the Denon receiver (AVR-2310) as having anything to do with the problem.  Disconnected everything except the aeriel and I got the same picture settings problem with Digital TV/YouView.

Sounds like an internal memory issue then.

MarkMacSONY
Explorer

Since firmware update April 14th, I am experiencing the same problem of the TV switching on, the problem has been compounded by the remote control not functioning when this happens so to switch off I have to pull the power. 

Currently I am trying a work around, by disabling the WiFi prior to switch off. 

This seemed to have worked, although it's early days. 

I'm guessing that the TV is reacting to a spurious "ON" command from another device on my network. Time will tell. 

With regards to your audio issue, connect your audio device, via HDMI, to the ARC input of the TV, that should disable built in speakers and allow extern

al source control from your TV remote. 

orientboy
Explorer

Same here

Since the recent 12th April upgrade the TV will turn its self on. I always turn it off by the back button but it still turns on?

However the touch pad seems to now stay connected

win one lose one

Sad for such an expensive (was when I bought it) flagship TV

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@orientboy, @NickCo1979

Hi there.

I don't have this issue but what I can see is that my TV, even if powered OFF with remote, REMAINS active in my Home Network.

This could be the cause of your issue especially if Video & TV Sideview is enabled and your TV is registered.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@orientboy tv switching on by itself (and related remote malfunctioning) are fixed by a factory reset.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

@orientboy tv switching on by itself (and related remote malfunctioning) are fixed by a factory reset.

For ever?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
r1d2001
Explorer

I've had this problem previously with my 43W805C and still do on occasion, this seems to stem from it selecting the wrong color temperature. Going into color settings and just selecting the color temperature corrects the issue.

For "curing" the issue, I had some success with a factory reset and then stepping through the set up guide, ensuring I didn't skip any part of it, which I had done when I first got it.

I have the TV permantly set to Cinema Pro with tweaked settings, now when I turn it on I can see that it's on a cooler color temperature setting from the on screen info, then after a pause it selects the correct settings. Every now and then it doesn't and stays on the cooler setting, this usually happens (as near as I can tell) after the TV has been turned off via HDMI CEC because an attached device has gone to sleep. If I turn the set off without using HDMI CEC it usually selects the correct color temperature when I turn it back on, after the aforementioned pause.

My set is connected to devices via a Pioneer SC 2022 receiver conneced to HDMI 4 (ARC). It's definitely a bug as far as I'm concerned. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown at least till a new firmware update. I had 2 firmware upgrade since then without any new reset needed

alwhite40

@r1d2001 wrote:

I've had this problem previously with my 43W805C and still do on occasion, this seems to stem from it selecting the wrong color temperature. Going into color settings and just selecting the color temperature corrects the issue.

For "curing" the issue, I had some success with a factory reset and then stepping through the set up guide, ensuring I didn't skip any part of it, which I had done when I first got it.

I have the TV permantly set to Cinema Pro with tweaked settings, now when I turn it on I can see that it's on a cooler color temperature setting from the on screen info, then after a pause it selects the correct settings. Every now and then it doesn't and stays on the cooler setting, this usually happens (as near as I can tell) after the TV has been turned off via HDMI CEC because an attached device has gone to sleep. If I turn the set off without using HDMI CEC it usually selects the correct color temperature when I turn it back on, after the aforementioned pause.

My set is connected to devices via a Pioneer SC 2022 receiver conneced to HDMI 4 (ARC). It's definitely a bug as far as I'm concerned. 

Thank you for confirming the issue too.

In my case it doesn't seem to be related to HDMI CEC.  It seems to be more to do with the length of time the set has been in standby.  If I switch off for 5 mins or so, then back on again, it will select the correct picture settings fine.  If left overnight, it always fails to select correct settings.

This is always the case, regardless of the last device being used.  It happens if I've been using Sky HD (which doesn't have HDMI CEC sleep link) and it happens with YouView (which obviously doesn't go through HDMI at all).