Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon Video - Juddering Issues

faheemrazzaq
Explorer

Amazon Video - Juddering Issues

I have upgraded my 55xd9305 yesterday and it proved to be a bad move. Since then a lot of judder specially on 4K stuff from Amazon and YouTube. It settles if left alone for couple of minutes. Clicking a buttong on remote such as volume or action will again introduce judder. I also noticed that while watching some 4K HDR on Amazon last night, the sound was out of sync with video as well. I hope a fix comes soon.

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
Steve_J
Explorer

I've just heard back from Amazon. Hopefully this will come out soon and won't be a long drawn out rollout to everyone's TV:

I've received an update from our technical team and they have informed that we are awaiting for firmware update from Sony, as well as including a fix in the next version of the app.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Steve_J wrote:

I've received an update from our technical team and they have informed that we are awaiting for firmware update from Sony, as well as including a fix in the next version of the app.

So there is still hope! Also, regarding the ATV2 (Bravia already with Android 7.0) I have read in a thread in the Italian forum that an update is planned for the end of december. So at least a manager told the user.

Hopefully with my luck the update won't be out AFTER my Amazon subscription expired AND Amazon raised the prie of Amazon Prime in Italy.. I would be very disappointed... :unamused:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Amazon Prime Video landed today on Apple TV...

.. and the 5.1 surround is.. broken!! Only 2.1 channels. How surprising! :yahoo:

But it's true that it won't need a tvOS update to get fixed. I may get fixed immediately now that's out.

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Hi. I have an XE90 Sony Android TV.

Can confirm I have the exactly same problem. Only on the Amazon Video app, and only with 4K contents. 

Netflix and others are perfect. Can't understand why they haven't fixed this problem already.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@marcobremb The main issue is that on Android TV there isn't the Amazon TV app in Google Play. It's on Sony Bravia due to direct agreements between Sony and Amazon. So in order to have the Amazon app updated we must wait for a firmware update from Sony to include the new app.

Now that Google and Amazon are fighting (Google is planning to remove YouTube access from all Amazon devices next year), I doubt the app in Google Play will ever see the light. At least for a long time, until they will settle (if ever). 

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

What a shame it is. I hope they can fix it in the next firmware update.

It's a really annoying problem, even if it lasts few seconds

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Looks like Google and Amazon are making peace with each other - Prime Video for Android TV announced. This will hopefully soon lead to increased quality of the Amazon app. It is not yet available in the Austrian Play Store though.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Looks like Google and Amazon are making peace with each other - Prime Video for Android TV announced. This will hopefully soon lead to increased quality of the Amazon app. It is not yet available in the Austrian Play Store though.

That's interesting! It isn't compatible with my Bravia XD8099, though. On the web's Google Play Store it says "This item is not compatible with your device". As I wonder if habing the apk the sideload would work (it may conflict with the pre-installed Amazon app). But it is there, only with 100-500 downloads, though.

Hopefully this will soon lead to the mobile Prime Video app supporting Chromecast, too! For once I agree with Google and it's strategy of showing the muscles, threatening to ban the Amazon devices from YouTube. A good use (for the consumers) of a monopoly power!

I came here because I have juddering issues with the amazon video app. The only thing is, I have a Phillips TV. (I know, I'm getting my coat) 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Philips and Sony are not that different, both being based on the same slow and bad MediaTek SoC with bad drivers. Plus the Amazon Video app for Android TV is really bad.

New "Prime Video - Android TV" app is still not compatible with any Android TV. I also fail to find an APK.

All you can do is wait and pray.