Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiCal1967 wrote:

About the new self installed apps, I believe that the cause is the Google Play Store. They install whatever they want through there, which is ILLEGAL.

I

Spoke to Sony about this.  Apparently you agree and accept the terms and conditions when setting up the TV giving Sony/Google certain rights.

Ive not read the T&C's (does anyone?) - so have to take their word on this, unless someone proves otherwise.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

You really should read the terms and conditions, especially for the TV sideview app if you value your privacy.

Makes for interesting reading, basically giving Sony the OK to scan all cookies for all websites you have visited on the device you are installing it on, scan your Facebook details and then upload them to a server somewhere and share it with 3rd parties. Your details are deliberately sent to a country (not specified) outside of the European union, so they are not beholden to any kind of law governing the data they keep on you........... All for an app that lets you turn your TV over..... 

jack32467

Ok lets put the tin-foil hats away and maybe keep this thread for talking about issues / wants for the impending marshmallow update...

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Tin foil?  Read the terms and conditions. It's a fact. This is a Sony app to control your Sony Android TV. 

jack32467

"Their stealing my identity" "They're reading my facebook posts about my brunch"

Only kidding, it may well be a fact but its not about the theme of this thread which is:

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

I accepted the terms and conditions previously. However still havevto manually go into Google Play Store and update installed Apps. I also had update Apps Automatically set. I think it is a bug. 

Arter i get the new Firmware i shall periodically check Google Play store for App updates. Sony did explain in tye TV opera description that we have to do this manually. Very poor implementation from Sony. 

@Quinnicus wrote:

Surprised this has been leaked !!

Flatpanels responded, saying they got the info from Sony Europe through Sony Nordic...

Please be informed that we are now ready to update our FY15 and FY16 1H Android TVs to Android 6.0.

Process: OTA rollout will be phased.
Timings: start on February, 22nd; end date – March, 8th
Affected models: FY15 and 1H FY16 Android TVs (XD85, SD85, XD93, XD94)

profile.country.FI.title
UtiP1005

My Sony 9305 is telling me today that Marshmallow uppdates are starting tomorrow, 22.02.2017 atleast in Finland.

There is some info from operating system, what`s new and how to install behind the home button!

Markku

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Anonymous

Me neither read T & C which I don't know if well done.

What I can say about their(Sony) answer is that when we buy something "as is" of course and we agree about T&C.

But, whatever is done without our permission afterwards, either on embedded apps and their updates or on new apps added from users and their updates, there MUST be a warning. This is "I agree" or "I do not agree".

Their answer also means that they can always add something that we do not see and may concern our privacy.

I shall never accept this sneaky way of some fools, trying to enter our lives.

This answer makes me very angry about them. Sony and Google. Especially Sony. We pay Sony, not Google.

Charlie20v
Explorer

Does anyone know what time the update will be available? Midnight tonight?