Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No, I explicitly mean the software that Sony is responsible for. Like the whole Live TV integration, or the bad MediaTek drivers, causing things to break or get slow.

It is not Google ruining the experience!

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

@Garymjh wrote:

The Nvidia shield costs almost £200 so the hardware in it may well be extremely expensive. [...] That's why Sony or Samsung or lg etc isn't bothered much either. 

By putting overpowered CPU in the smart TV with Android, you could make sure it will last longer and will provide better experience with future SW upgrades. A ~3000€ TV is not something you replace every year, like 100€ tablet.

By putting outdated ATV1 platform/CPU in the TV, you are making sure you'll ***** off many people which will next time look for other brands. And quite often those are people ready to spend really a lot to get best Home Cinema experience - I would thought ideal target group for Sony TVs.

I don't believe putting e.g. X1 in Sony TV would make make drastical change in the price of final product.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

X1 is not the CPU, it is the image processor.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

So to go back on topic...

Yesterday I got a very unpleasant evening with my TV !!!

I decided to watch "Arrival", I got it in fine quality (23 Gb 4K HDR BT2020...) so it was going to be a good evening.

I first tried to play on Kodi using wired LAN (smb share) and I got lags so I rebooted TV

I tried again with KODI / LAN (smb share) same effect

So I tried to play it still on kodi but using UPNP / DLNA from my computer still lags.

So I copied it on my QNAP NAS and tried to play it using Serviio DLNA using Native video APP. It stayed on loading and won't even play the file so I copied it on a usb hard drive that I plugged  on the TV, I choose play movies when the TV detected the drive and I go to native video App wich stays verrrryyyyy long to load the content of the drive and never did display even a folder.

So I get back to Kody and played the movie from the drive still with lag.

Also Kodi had lot of trouble navigating in the movie using left / right arrows or fast forward. It regulary goes back to the beginning of the movie.

So the movie was not bad but I had a terrible evening due to the TV.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Also I bought this TV because it had Android TV.

I was hesitating between Sony / LG / Samsung but I wanted Android TV and not WebOs or TizenOS I thought I would have better software support and app compatibility with Android... what a mistake !!!

I also thought about buying a Shield TV but I don't want to spend an other 200€ as I already spent 2000€ on a TV that as Android TV !!

Moreover Shield TV doesn't have SPDIF output and my home cinema only have SPDIF ou coax input (no HDMI /ARC) so I don't want to be forced to buy a shield AND a home cinema just because sony canno't manage software updates the right way !

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

So sad that Sony didn't learn with the previous version's issues. I do not understand why a large international company cannot properly test software prior to a roll out. The number of obvious bugs being recorded by @Anonymous in another thread is totally unacceptable. As I have 43in model which I saw was prone to being bricked, I disabled auto update. So glad I did... I will review the bugs thread here before I take the plunge (if at all). If previous history is anything to go by it'll take over a year for the fixes. They have really dropped the ball on this and are doing their reputation harm. I don't think many of changes so far will enhance my Non 4K / Non HDR TV.

I have history in this field having been a 'change control manager' with a UK telecom company, if I allowed releases out as untested as these, I would have been 'let go' before my retirement. Wont be long before this forum breaks again like it did last time.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
The_Notorious
Explorer

558509C here and still no update, is Somy still rolling the updates out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@The_Notorious wrote:

558509C here and still no update, is Somy still rolling the updates out?

Why not just download and install via USB?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/Kd-55x8509c

profile.country.GB.title
The_Notorious
Explorer

Unfortunately I don't have a reliable USB stick 😞

profile.country.IE.title
patobrie9
Explorer

Got a notification on the. Home page to say being rolled out from 22Feb to 8 March but no sign yet on auto.