Join now - be part of our community!

Anyable to view "live" Youtube content on KD-43XD8088

profile.country.GB.title
gehalle85
Explorer

Anyable to view "live" Youtube content on KD-43XD8088

Has anyone had issues viewing live streamed youtube content as wont play on my 43XD8088?

No issue on viewing uploaded content and I watcht the live content if viewed through my PS4, so this is not an internet issue, as I have a 100mb connection.

I also just installed Twitch and can view live content, so this is Youtube specific.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I have this issue with live streams.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Same issue for me too

Skynews goes only 240p. Changing to above makes no difference. Changing to higher, exiting, then run stream again, Blocks this and gives an Error and option to repeat. But it doesn't work.

Then whole Lives streams are unplayable because system keeps previous setting.

Have to go to Settings Apps - System app - YouTube clear data and cache.

Then playing back again at 240p.

Some streams like KATY PERRY sometimes goes 1080p and others 720p or 480p.

Also noticed that when clearing data and cache, external registered HDD is activated ....

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a mess. I have a 49" XD80, Android 7.0, and via WiFi some streams give an error (but I am afraid that is a different issue, WiFi related. I have the bandwidth going down and gets restored after a TV reboot). I tested it wired and Sky Live News always plays at 240p indeed. The day that Google will update the YouTube app for Android TV will be always too late. 

Actually, no. I get an error trying to play some streams even via Ethernet.

profile.country.GB.title
Opmind
New

Same thing here. Will not play live streamed anything. There are plenty of other reports of it not working, see links below. Have now sideloaded YT app, works kind of ok, but I have to use ext keyboard. Tiny URL is a link shortening service. Would appreciate Quinnicus applying pressure on Sony to answer this problem. Especially now that YT have introduced live channels, but to be clear, they are not the problem, it's live sport, events etc.,  which are non Google channels.

Google product forum complaint about live streaming

Google product forum asking to update YT Android TV app

YouTube TV app feedback form  Please fill in. You don't need to quote a Google Acc

ps Google use A.I to delete incoming communications that have abusive or threatening language.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Broken here to....IF I use the built in app.

However if I use my phone and cast to TV it works fine. Have any of you tried that?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Risc0n wrote:

Broken here to....IF I use the built in app.

However if I use my phone and cast to TV it works fine. Have any of you tried that?

That's because casting it uses a different player. Which should be the same used in Chromecast (Premium I supposed. It goes up to 4K. No HDR - again!! - though). I am not sure how that player gets (down) loaded/installed, but it's part of the Google Cast package. Actually, since I was testing some memory usage of the Amazon Video app and others... Here. This is the app name that gets used by the YouTube Google Cast player:

BRAVIA_ATV2:/ $ dumpsys -t 20 meminfo 
Applications Memory Usage (in Kilobytes):
Uptime: 60918428 Realtime: 80705240

Total PSS by process:
133,033K: com.google.android.apps.mediashell:sandboxed_process0 (pid 27465)

Just for a comparison this is the one used by Plex Google Cast player, after cleaning up a a bit the apps in history:

BRAVIA_ATV2:/ $ dumpsys -t 20 meminfo                                          
Applications Memory Usage (in Kilobytes):
Uptime: 61497786 Realtime: 81284598

Total PSS by process:
    100,006K: dtv_svc (pid 1705)
     85,359K: system (pid 1770)
     79,197K: com.google.android.apps.mediashell:sandboxed_process4 (pid 6145)

So basically they are the same, just witha different sub process number.

`OFF TOPIC - Please not the RAM usage: about 130MB for YouTube. All native apps have about that RAM footprint. All but the Amazon Video app which in my testing went up to 320MB and has always been above 280 MB after starting to play a video (1080p or UHD didn't matter). Which should explain many things.

profile.country.GB.title
gehalle85
Explorer

Only just got the tv and havent mucked around with casting, but may as well just watch through the PS4.  Annoying though  as had no issue on my Samsung tv