Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sony KD-55XD8505 to Bluesound Node over HDMI ARC doesn't work

profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

Connecting Sony KD-55XD8505 to Bluesound Node over HDMI ARC doesn't work

Hi all,

Not sure I am at the right board, but anyway I need to try :slight_smile:

So, I have as above KD-55XD8505 and Bluesound Node and I want to connect my TV with the Node over HDMI ARC connection in order to get the sound from the TV through my HIFI system.

It shouldn't be a big deal, but it looks like I am missing something on the settings of the TV.

I have managed to get the sound through my HIFI system only once, but as soon as I turn off the TV this connection is lost. As if the TV did not save the settings.

Obviously there has to be a discussion about the proper settings on the TV, but first I would like to know is there anyone out there who has a similar setup, so that we can talk about it :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Brks

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

@royabrown2 

Should point out my issue is with a Powernode, which has an amp built in.  TV Output is set to PCM (as advised by Bluesound) and still if I switch the TV off and then on again, no sound!  TV is KD-43XE8005.  I am quite happy with all TV audio coming via the Powernode. (or would be if I didn't have to manually switch to the HDMI source on the app, on a phone which might not be in the room or even the building!)

profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

I was making the mistake of putting the TV in standby rather than turning it off.  Auto-Select in the BluOS app doesn't recognise the TV coming out of standby, only when it is switched on from 'OFF'.  Working as designed.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@DrMopp 

In the area of mistakes, it looks like ‘Audio Format for HDMI’ on my TV is how it treats incoming audio - so irrelevant to our quest here - and ‘Audio Format’ (on its own) is for Digital Out, which does include ARC, and what Bluesound say about using PCM is borne out by it going silent on the other Audio Format settings.

I don’t think you having a Powernode and me having a Node makes much difference, does it? It just means your amplification stage is built in, and mine is external, but everything we have been discussing happens before line level is reached.

I haven’t come across AutoSelect on my Node though; I expect it’s there, but I will have to read up on it. But certainly, I had to select HDMI In manually on the Node; but once having selected it, and leaving the Node running, I could put the TV in Standby and take it out again at will, and the ARC would kick in automatically again and give the audio.

I’ve come to the conclusion though, that the Node is a slightly peculiar beast for use with a TV, as it forces the TV to bust the multi-channel sound it is capable of back to stereo.

So I’m pleased our main TV is feeding a 5.1 home cinema setup, rather than the Node, but I’ll keep the second TV feeding the Node, for any critical stereo listening I might want to do to a TV programme, where stereo is arguably better than 5.1, and indubitably better than the TV speakers alone 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

Auto Sense (apologies if I referred to it as Auto-Select) is an option in the BluOS app.  If you open the hamburger menu (top left) then 'Settings > Player > Customize Sources > HDMI ARC.

Interesting that you have no problem with standby mode, (is that on a Samsung or Sony?) since Bluesound support were quite clear in their wording to me that 'Auto-Sense will only work when turning on the source device from OFF. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@DrMopp 

I tested only with the Samsung - I can’t speak for what a Sony would do.

To be clear, though, I only checked that the Node, left switched to the HDMI input, would survive the Samsung being put into standby and then taken out again, and would recommence playing the ARC audio from the TV.

Which doesn’t conflict with what you were told about what does and doesn’t happen when the Node is switched to a different input, and you then take the TV out of standby.

I’ve now found Auto Sense and turned it on for the HDMI input, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet, when I expect I will find what you have found.

I’ve also hauled my YSP2500 out of the loft, to see how that handles ARC, as compared with the Node,

I shall report back when I have had a quiet hour to try it.

profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

@royabrown2 wrote:

@DrMopp 

I tested only with the Samsung - I can’t speak for what a Sony would do.

To be clear, though, I only checked that the Node, left switched to the HDMI input, would survive the Samsung being put into standby and then taken out again, and would recommence playing the ARC audio from the TV.

Which doesn’t conflict with what you were told about what does and doesn’t happen when the Node is switched to a different input, and you then take the TV out of standby.

I’ve now found Auto Sense and turned it on for the HDMI input, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet, when I expect I will find what you have found.

I’ve also hauled my YSP2500 out of the loft, to see how that handles ARC, as compared with the Node,

I shall report back when I have had a quiet hour to try it.

My issue is not with switching from one input to another, it is with the exact scenario you tested, i.e. set to HDMI input, then put the TV into, and then out of, standby.  As I read  it, your sound resumes on the Node.  Mine does not.  (this could obviously be a difference between the Samsung and Sony TV's).  Bluesound Tech support told me Auto Sense will only detect the TV being switched ON, not being brought out of standby, which is consistent with my  findings, but is at odds with you have found.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @DrMopp 

Auto Sense talks about switching to the input.

In the situation described, for both of us, no switching is required, so Auto Sense shouldn’t be coming into it.

A TV brought out of standby should be figuring out where it is going to send its audio, and if it finds a receptive device open for ARC, it should use that, not the internal speakers.

In the test I did, I put the Samsung in standby, and brought it out of standby very quickly.

Maybe the Node times out on HDMI after a while? Though it shouldn’t; on HDMI, it should sit there waiting for a handshake from the TV, get one, and resume ARC service.

Maybe your Sony doesn’t send the handshake when coming out of standby? What does happen if you power down the TV and then power it up again?

On my next test session, though, I’ll wait a couple of minutes before I bring the Samsung out of standby,

And I’d just note in passing that bringing my YouView box out of standby, on my LG GX, is enough to likewise bring my LG GX out of standby and switch to the YouView input, or just switch to the YouView input if the TV is already on, and I would expect the Node Auto Sense to work for coming out of standby as well as for powering on.

And if it doesn’t, as you have been told, I think this is something Bluesound should fix.

profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

IMHO Auto Sense exists to ensure you have TV sound through the Powernode without recourse to the BluOS app which may be installed on a device which is not available i.e. a phone which is not in the building.  In other words if the TV is connected and switched on, sound plays through the Powernode subject to the correct TV Audio output settings.  For that sound to be disabled should the TV be put into standby for either a short or long period (my testing was both) defeats the object.  The Powernode does however work as Bluesound support advised in that if the TV is switched OFF and ON again rather than put into standby, TV sound resumes on the Powernode, so any 'fix' seems unlikely to be forthcoming, however inconvenient. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@DrMopp wrote:

IMHO Auto Sense exists to ensure you have TV sound through the Powernode without recourse to the BluOS app which may be installed on a device which is not available i.e. a phone which is not in the building.

According to the Bluesound documentation:-

Auto Sense can be set to any single input, not just HDMI.

Auto Sense will not switch if another input is actually in use.

And I think it’s possible to operate a *Node via the touch sensitive panel on the top, isn’t it?

In other words if the TV is connected and switched on, sound plays through the Powernode subject to the correct TV Audio output settings. 

I wouldn’t dare leave our TV connected to the Node and go out with the only copy of the app if I thought my wife was going to try to watch that TV. Too many variables, and too many ways it could go wrong.

However, it does seem that if the TV is switched back from ARC to Internal Speakers, this persists through the TV being put into standby and taken out again. But this may very well be specific to this TV and/or Samsung, and not apply to your Sony.

For that sound to be disabled should the TV be put into standby for either a short or long period (my testing was both) defeats the object. 

Absolutely.

The Powernode does however work as Bluesound support advised in that if the TV is switched OFF and ON again rather than put into standby, TV sound resumes on the Powernode, so any 'fix' seems unlikely to be forthcoming, however inconvenient. 

I love the chutzpah of a company who make a device with no On/Off power switch requiring something that plugs in to their device to have one if it is to work properly 😛

profile.country.GB.title
DrMopp

Since we are agreed that sound should resume when the TV comes out of standby when Auto Sense is switched on for HDMI ,and it doesn't, I will take up that issue with Bluesound.  Little point in debating it here.