Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

First of all, thanks for the info and efforts made by people in this thread.

Second, I can't see how this firmware patch will fix the issue based on the description above.  The issue is not limited to Dolby Vision content and affects, amongst other things, SD and HD broadcast TV where there is any static element on the screen.  So even going by the description, this is not a fix for the problem.

There are a number of reports already of this update not fixing the issue.

iceman_X
New

The update is useless, everything is the same ... Sony is failing its customers, we bought an excellent TV and they broke it themselves, I'm throwing it away

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

The v6.5603 firmware was installed last night and after a few hours of viewing I can categorically confirm that the update is useless and nothing has changed, the dimming issue is just as severe. I have been on the phone with the worst on the planet Sony Customer Support who have confirmed that there is nothing they can do because the tv is working within specification.

Through Richersounds I had received an engineer visit almost three weeks ago but had heard nothing in response. When I requested the outcome I was eventually informed that they had received the report but they had concluded that everything was within specification, this despite the engineer during his visit confirming that "pulsing" of image brightness was evident. So Sony now believe this to be normal on their flagship model costing when new £5 & 3.5K, what a shambolic state of affairs.

It must be the pinnacle of ineptness to bring out a fix that Resolves an issue where brightness decreases every time HDR content played yet omits HD and SD content when these two are surely more widely used than HDR. So it seems our viewing pleasure is restricted to watching HDR or content without a static image on screen.

I have informed Richersounds that regrettably I will be issuing a deadlock letter as the solution has reached an in pass. I must add that RS have been excellent in their support but are powerless to assist due to the Sony's intransigence.

As this issue is not prevalent in all A1 sets after the updates, it must therefore be assumed that the ones who are affected are in possession of faulty units and Sony are in breach of the Consumers Rights Act with their denial and refusal to act.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

I have heard nothing from either Sony or John Lewis regarding this problem since they both told me that they would be dropping the complaint.

I have not downloaded the new update in the fear that it will make things even worse.

I now watch normal tv films etc with one setting which is tolerable and football on another setting that is just above candlelight to stop the picture from dimming and brightening as and when the tv deems it neccessary.

I am absolutely appauled with the way we as customers are being treated. 

I am now seriously about getting in touch with a legal advisor to tell me what I can/should do going forward.

Is anyone still in contact with Sony regarding the issue or has everyone reached the stage I find myself in whereby no solution is being offered?

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Kyletto

Please could you confirm that you installed the update and what was the outcome?

What do other members with this problem think we need to do now !  I for one feel lost and a little more than annoyed at having nowhere to take this problem forward in the hope that there is a solution ?

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

Could you please record your dimming issue, upload it to youtube and paste here link?

I've heard poeple talking about it but never sewen it myself.
I think you guys having wrong setting is picture and power menus.

UPDATE: nevermind. Just saw video on a third page I think. Yeah that is clearly an issue.
It would be also nice if they could finally fix DTS passthrough iun the same update as well :slight_smile:

profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

Jim

Are you going down the path of a legal dispute?

I am not sure that this patch was actually intended to address this issue - the description to me sounds like it's addressing something else.

There are some hints that Sony is still looking at the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Hi all,

Apologies for my delay in replying, it has been a very busy couple of weeks and personal life issues tend to take over!

I have indeed installed the update and I can confirm that it seems to have made no difference to the issue at hand, or resolving it. A shame, after some very promising early first responses...

I am currently waiting to hear from Sony who, in their defence, have yet to contact me to actually say this was expected as a fix in the patch. I'm in the camp of many others now who don't think this patch was ever really intended to resolve the main dimming issue as we've been experiencing it.

Reading between the lines, speaking to experts and weighing everything up, I believe the Japanese development team are working away at trying to resolve the issue at hand, they're just not yet 100% sure exactly how to isolate and thus fix the problem (because it is so variable). 

I remain in touch with Sony, and will be contacting them within the next few days to let them know the lack of resolution on the issue has been widespread.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Apologies for the delayed response.

I am hopeful that this issue will eventually be resolved but also mindful of how long it took Sony to to roll out the promised DV included update that has caused this problem in the first place.

It is therefore understandable that many on this thread are in a state of despair because of the Sony Customer Service response that the issue is"within specification","within parameters" or "this is a normal phenomenon that is related to the latest update" etc. In my many exchanges with Sony there has not been one hint of admittance or that they are seeking a resolution. Also the retailers are powerless due to Sony's stance on the issue.

Many thanks Kyletto for your involvement, your dialogue with Sony has at least given us a glimmer of hope that there will be a satisfactory conclusion.

However, due to the present ongoing uncertainty, I am seeking consumers rights advice. They have requested and I have sent them as much information as possible in my exchanges with Sony including links to this forum and the US AVSForum Sony A1E Dimming Defect thread.

If it had not been for Kyletto"s discussions with Sony,  we would still be without any hope. I am unwilling to accept the present situation but with all sincerity hope that there is an imminent solution and that the matter does not become an issue of litigation.

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Just see your video on Youtube. Oh my God... it's unbelievable Sony is doing absolutely NOTHING for this problem.

Because it really is a problem... and it's bad. A1 is the TOP Sony Bravia TV and they do nothing?!?