Join now - be part of our community!

Google Home can't communicate with Sony TV

profile.country.GB.title
Arv84z
New

Google Home can't communicate with Sony TV

Hey, apologise if this is a repeat thread but I am struggling to resolve my issue.

I have a Sony Bravia TV (2018) and Google Home. I have linked everything together via the tv and Home app. Both can see each other.

But Google can't control the TV - turn on/off, launch apps, control volume etc.

Solutions I've tried:

Clear cache and data on TV

Forget device and reconnect

Reset TV

Change Wi-Fi link

Both still can't control TV by asking Google home. One of the only reasons for buy this TV over LG!

I can however cast to my TV from my phone (open netflix app and tap cast) but only if the tv is already on. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
adamski99_uk

I managed to get voice control working on my 2017 TV and Google Home Mini but it stopped working about a month ago.  I think it might be to do with a Google update to assistant that has stopped it working.

Pinn92
New

I have the same issue. Can see the TV fine on the google app on my phone. The google mini recognizes the TV for what it is. I can say play youtube to on my TV and it works. But when it comes time to shut it down, it says check the owners manual to see if the tv supports this feature. My guess is it is a problem Google sided.

profile.country.GB.title
Arv84z
New

As if by magic it's now working! Must have been a software issue between Google and Sony, hopefully resolved now.

Nastymit
Explorer

I'm having the same issue.

Bought a Bravia XG80 today and it shows up in Google home app but as an Android TV. It won't accept commands from my Google hub, mini or pixel2.  I just got a message saying Android TV is not supported.  Basically, all I can do is volume up/down and cast direct from phone.  The Google assistant from the TV remote works so I find it mighty strange.

Is there a fix for this yet?

All software is up to date.

profile.country.GB.title
joexn.com
Explorer

If you're still having issues whereby your Sony Bravia is not being properly controlled by Google Assistant and are receiving errors like 'I’m sorry, there was an error and I was unable to control your home device', I wrote a post on my site which helped my fix the issues completely here: http://joexn.com/controlling-a-sony-bravia-with-google-assistant/

I don't earn money off this site or anything, just a place to update the post.

Kinvig2k
New

Sorry but that link doesn't work can't find the site.