Join now - be part of our community!

I was about to buy new AF8 TV - should I be put off by Android?

profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd
New

I was about to buy new AF8 TV - should I be put off by Android?

I'm about ready to buy a new TV, and have picked the new AF8 over Samsungs Q9 - mostly because of the great sound and OLED.

BUT I am reading so much negativity over the android operating system, being slow, buggy, and unstable, that I am thinking the OS should be higher on the priority list - which would probably take me to LG.

Any advice from Sony TV owners...?

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
TimB1978
Explorer

In all sincerity that's one of the daftest comments I've ever read.

the Android, whilst not great, is TOTALLY fine..!? So there's a 0.5 second delay between pressing a button and it then actioning....that's enough for you to disregard a TV with such an incredible picture?

i genuinely pity you. What a joyless existence...

profile.country.GB.title
TimB1978
Explorer

For what it's worth, I think the Android dramas are overblown beyond belief. It's NOT the quickest, but if you think about how much time you'll actually be spending 'navigating apps', it really is nothing at all to worry about!

ive had this in a 65" for a week now and I'm still utterly blown away by the picture. Seriously, to dismiss this piece of kit because of a half second delay clicking your apps would be a seriously big mistake...(!?)

This TV is absolutely incredible. 

profile.country.SE.title
Scooterqb
Explorer

I just purchased the AF8. The os is worse this year than last year. They have added Google play trailers that start automatically and cannot be removed. I wish I got the lg instead as I have issues assigning TV button on the remote and everytime I change between inputs the irritating google play trailers start. 

profile.country.GB.title
TimB1978
Explorer

No idea why you're getting videos popping up. Must be a way around it because I've never seen/experienced that.

Have faith, find a solution and enjoy the tv...

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
pashear1892

I wouldnt waste your money on a Sony TV end of story.. biggest waste of £2500 I ever made..

This TV as well as many others has caused nothing but problems.

I'm now without power on mine for the 2nd time in 6 months..  a 65" piece of crap sat collecting dust.

Steer clear you have been warned.. see my other threads and the others who have also had such bad equipment coupled with even worse customer service.

profile.country.GB.title
TimB1978
Explorer

Sweet, fair enough. I'd be annoyed if I was you as well.

I've not had a single problem with mine fortunately, so I can't relate...

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.SE.title
Scooterqb
Explorer

I have xd9305 and an A1 also. No problems with those. My new AF8 is a disaster. I hope they fix the mess. 

profile.country.GB.title
robert.cotta
Explorer

Don’t buy , I have one it’s got problems with network breaking connection every week, also losing hdmi connection every week, and this was after Sony got a Engineer to replace the who motherboard after a Month from purchase, don’t buy , get a LG oled 

profile.country.GB.title
goldsilver15
Explorer

I AGREE WITH THIS REPLY ITS SUCH A CRAP TV FOR THE HIGHEND PRICE IVE GOT 1 AND ITS CRACKING BECAUSE OF CHEAP PLASTIC COVERS OR IT COULD BE THE CIRCUITS GETTING TO HOT .AND THE CUTTING OUT OF WIFI IS VERY COMMON WITH THIS TV I HAVE HAD 1 SENT BACK FOR THIS REASON AND THEN I END UP WITH THE SAME TV WITH MORE PROBLEMS    DONT BUY AND SONY TVS

profile.country.GB.title
Demchuck

Hi I got a Sony AF8 last November it's a excellent TV in picture and sound I looked at the LG Oleds which were cheaper by £400 but I decided to have Quality than Price just do it