KD-55 A1 - Android 8.0 (Firmware 6.6555) - Constant retstarting

profile.country.GB.title
michaeldtaylor
New

KD-55 A1 - Android 8.0 (Firmware 6.6555) - Constant retstarting

Model: KD-55 A1

Android 8.0 (Firmware 6.6555)

Issue: Constant retstarting

So I finally got my automatic update to Android 8.0 over a week ago now. Since then my TV constantly restarts - luckily, not whilst watching it, but if it I turn it off for any length of time then 90% of the time, when I turn it back on later I get the:

android -> Sony -> android loading animation

Before I can do anything. Pretty frustrating.

I say 90% of the time, because I just turned it on to get the serial number and it had uptime of 19 hours! I turned it off and I bet it will be back to its old tricks when I come to watch it later.

I have done a "Factory Data Reset" through Android twice as per guidance. This hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Michael

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

It might be best to contact Sony support here.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
michaeldtaylor
New

Ok thanks. I have done. Let's see what they say. Michael
profile.country.GB.title
michaeldtaylor
New

I got a response from Sony:

---

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KKD-55A1,we are sorry to learn that it reboots when coming out of stand by.
Kindly note that we are aware if this issue and our engineers are already working on releasing a software update that would solve it as soon as possible.

---

It's actually been better recently, but if they admit there is a problem, then I guess I'll have to wait for the fix and hope it doesn't get worse again!

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

I have had the same problem for months (Since last year) since Oreo update with my KD-55 A1 and Sony refused to acknowledge the problem for months blaming Sonos (who have been brilliant and even swapping out even though they said there was nothing wrong with my Sonos Beam). Sony even sent an engineer out and then said there was nothing wrong with the TV. I have wasted days on the phone with Sony and Sonos and waiting in (when we used to go out) for an engineer and swopping out my Sonos Beam as Sony said that was the problem.

I updated to new firmware 6.6555 (and done everything Sony asked including more factory resets than I can remember and it worked for a bit (I had internal Wi-fi turned off) then when I turned on internal Wi-fi back on (I need it because the tv keeps disconnecting from the router and I paid for internal Wi-fi so I want it to work) the problem started the next day.

The thing is that the tv and everything worked fine before the update and at least now I can see from your email that Sony acknowledge the problem which doesn’t fix it or get me the money back I have lost as I am a software consultant and the days lost to try to sort this out has cost me money. 

I want a resolution to this now as I have had enough. 

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

@michaeldtaylor when I contacted Sony today they acknowledged that I have been trying to resolve this issue with them since September last year but denied there is a known problem with the KD 55 A1! They said they will have to escalate my problem which I have heard a 100 times off them.

unbeleivable!

profile.country.GB.title
michaeldtaylor
New

@Woody1001 Hmm... yeah, doesn't sound great. I wasn't holding out much hope based on the response I got either to be honest. Seemed fairly generic, although I was happy they acknowleged it as a known issue.

I have no idea why but my set has stopped restarting for a while now - not sure if this will last. Currently 82 hours uptime. Not sure if I changed a setting when I Factory Data Reset for the 2nd time (Remote start using devices off maybe?). I think I might just be in a lucky patch, and that the problem could come back.

I don't really use Android/or any TV features at all to be honest. Mine is a 55" OLED monitor. I use an Apple TV 4K/streaming only. I don't even have a TV licence - legit. Plex/Netflix/Prime/Disney+/Spotify and YouTube are all I really use.

Had I known of any issue I would have rejected the update, and would downgrade if the problem reared itself again, assuming you can get the firmware.

This is the main problem with consumer electronics in my opnion, and the majority of Android phones too. Software support is is bad because they do the minimum work possible and prefer to sell new models every year. If I buy Android phones they tend to be Nexus/Pixel, simply because you get latest software for longer. Whatever you think of Apple, they have amazing software support for older iPhones.

Frankly, my set was set to update automatically. The previous update gave Dolby Vision was necessary, this one - not so bothered myself. They should have done a decent amount of regression testing on older sets by the looks of it (older - 2 whole years!). I have a cinema amp (Onkyo), Apple TV 4K (primary box) and PS4 Pro connected if that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

You couldn’t make this up! This is the response I got today. They’ve obviously not even looked at my call log or history. 

Dear Mr. Woodford,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Regarding your enquiry for your Sony KD-55A1, please be advised that after escalating the matter to the relevant department, they have informed us that the issue you are facing with your TV, where no sound comes out from the soundbar connected to the ARC port, is an issue that the engineers are currently working on resolving, however, they have released some workarounds for the issue, until we have further information regarding the matter.

Please try the first workaround and observe the TV, if the issue persists, try the second one and observe the TV, and so on, then send us your feedback.

Note: Please set the Audio system prioritisation to (ON) before doing the workarounds below, from
Home-Settings-Sound-Audio system prioritisation.

First Workaround:
1-Turn off your audio device using the audio remote control
2-Turn off your TV using the TV remote control
3-Turn on your TV using the TV remote, and the soundbar will turn on automatically via the Bravia Sync function which is explained in the article below:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00126149

Second Workaround:
1-Change the speakers settings by going to Home-Settings-Sound-Speakers-TV speaker.
2-Turn off the TV with the TV remote control.
3-Turn on the TV with the TV remote control, and the speakers settings will switch to (Audio system) automatically. via the Bravia Sync Function.

Third Workaround:
1-Set the Bravia Sync control option to on by going to HOME-Settings-External inputs-BRAVIA Sync settings-BRAVIA Sync control.
2-Select (YES) when (Remove recognized devices from the list) is displayed
Note: The Bravia Sync control will be switched off.
3-Select Bravia sync control again to switch it on
Note: The Speakers settings will switch to (Audio system) automatically.

Fourth Workaround:
Reset the TV https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00114591

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

@michaeldtaylor I spoke to Sony today and they are sending who an engineer (again) who will take it away to repair and if can't be fixed they will offer replacement. What I don't understand is how they will test it without my Sonos Soundbar (which I am not letting them takeaway).

They still will not acknowledge that it is a known problem and they said that any mention of it being a known issue on this forum might not be linked and a totally separate problem. What a joke!

When I factory reset and cleared the cache it worked for a while but always went back to rebooting from standby.