Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XD8577SU - how do I install apps like Mobdro?

Jtkpenguin
Explorer

KD-55XD8577SU - how do I install apps like Mobdro?

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a Sony KD-55XD8577, mainly for watching sports & films,

Having done some research & spoken to several sales people, my main reason for purchasing this TV was that I could easily add as many apps as I wanted because it's Android O/S, that there are literally thousands of apps in the Google Store + other places & that I could install the likes of Mobdro; Showbox & many others that I commonly use....

But, I'm finding that this isn't the case.... unless someone can advise me different...

I've figured out how to add apps through the Google Store & Opera TV Store, but I thought I would be able to install what I wanted, not what Sony tell me I want....

My wife is shouting at me (big-time) for spending money we can ill-afford on this if it's not going to do what 'we' want 😞

Jtk

P.S. sorry if I'm duplicating this post, thought I'd posted yesterday but can't find it anywhere!

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@Jtkpenguin OK you need two programs ES file explorer and Chainfires Sideload Launcher from Google Play. When you want to install an app, send the apk to a cloud ( any cloud program ) and in ES file explorer find the apk, click on it, follow the screen instructions. When you want to run it ( if not shown in the tiles ) click on Sideload and you will see it. There are still some apps that wont work because it's a TV. I use Kodi and Google loads it and shows it without Sideload. It's an Android device so go and get those apps unlike the Samsung smart TVs.

PS if I have missed anything I am sure others will point things out.

profile.country.GB.title
stickerlee
Explorer

Great thanks John works fine. I used Dropbox as the cloud. Took a little time navigating with the Sony remote but got there in the end. Used Kodi Jarvis and opens up quickly with the Sandisk usb. May well try a usb air mouse to navigate within Kodi, anybody tried this?

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

If you have an android device with esfile Explorer already on it, you can just open esfile Explorer on your TV, open esfile Explorer on your phone or tablet, long press on the apk you want to sideload, choose send via lan, wait a sec for your TV to be shown (obviously you need to be connected to the same network), choose send and it will instantly show up on your TV, choose accept file and then you can install it. 

If your phone or tablet is rooted, you can flick the root Explorer option on in esfile explorer and just navigate your device to pull any apk's that you have already installed on your phone / tablet from the playstore, save you having to upload apps to the cloud. 

Side load launcher works great, but HALauncher  from the playstore on your TV lets you sideload your apk's in landscape rather than portrait mode if they were not designed for Android TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
stickerlee
Explorer

That sounds straight forward. I have an android notebook and will remember that. Many thanks.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

If your phone or tablet is rooted, you can flick the root Explorer option on in esfile explorer and just navigate your device to pull any apk's that you have already installed on your phone / tablet from the playstore, save you having to upload apps to the cloud.

You don't need to be rooted to do that.

Just select Library -> APP on the left side menu and you can send or backup :

User Apps , System  Apps , Installed , ...... All Apps.

profile.country.GB.title
stickerlee
Explorer

Many thanks, noted for next time

Stickerlee

sonipatel
Explorer

I think it is very simple to install apps like [Link removed by moderator]. You don't require any additional skills for that.

profile.country.GB.title
stickerlee
Explorer

I have managed to install Mobdro on my Bravia KD-43XD8088 but unfortunately the icon does not appear when pressing the Home button and scrolling down to "apps".

It is there going down to settings, apps and it's there in downloadedI apps and I can open it on the icon.

I can also run it in ES file explorer and Sideload launcher.

Anyone any ideas why the icon doesn't show in apps in the Home menu. Everything else I have installed does includeing Kodi, ES file explorer and Sideload launcher.

Thanks in advance

stickerlee 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

It's not showing up in the menu as the mobdro app doesn't have the Android TV Leanback launcher tags embedded in it. You can ask the developer to enable it in their next build, its easy to do.