Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - Marshmallow Update - Amber/Green Blinking LEDs

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

[Master Thread] - Marshmallow Update - Amber/Green Blinking LEDs

I believe this issue deserves a separate thread since it is affecting so many people around Europe. After Sony released the update i put it on a SONY stick and proceed to upgrade, the tv was reporting: 'updating' then it restarted but it did not come back - black screen and led flashing green-orange! Tried all the tricks to get it to work but no luck so far

Lots of people complain abotu this issue on a russian forum: 'Killed sony kdl43w808c, Slovakia, 11/2016. I called Sony support. Told not to turn off the TV set or disconnect it from the Internet, as update should come, correcting this problem'

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

l6ZLMfP3TQlNu.gif

426 REPLIES 426
Jhinwxm

I have this problem too. Happened on Friday. Very annoying and incredibly poor service from Sony. In fact I'd go as far as saying they are a disgrace.

Sony support were useless and didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. They asked to try the reset (vol down and power button) and seemed shocked when I told her that it did not work.

Its now midday on Monday and they still have not updated me despite me asking them to update me this morning.

Here's an idea Sony, why not fully test these updates befere releasing them? Genius I know!

If this isn't fixed by tomorrow evening my TV is going back to the shop where I bought it only a few months ago and they can deal with the problem.

Will I buy a Sony TV again? Probably not.

Will I agree to any more future updates (should I be able to use my TV again) highly unlikely. Why take the risk?

Who ever answers the phone to me later in Sony support better be prepared for an uncomfortable conversation if they have not resolved the issue. You lot can be patient but that time for me has now passed.

I'm going to be calling them alot they'll be sick of me by this time tomorrow.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Jhinwxm

As you can probably tell on these forums - there is no fix at this moment in time (not that I am aware of).  Therefore Sony Support are also confused - Support can quite often be the last in the chain to get updated information (which is wrong, but happens to many companies).  However Sony is fully aware of the problem and are urgently looking into it.

You mention about if Sony Support contact you they "better be prepared for an uncomfortable conversation" - which is OK to rely your point across - but at the end of the day, there is no point ranting and raving at the person on the end of the phone, as they are not the ones who have much control on the situation. 

I know it is frustrating to say the least.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

@Anonymous

What is the chain to follow once a case is reported to Sony?

They said they are going to try out something else with me (as i already said), i wonder if that something is unique in Europe or if there are in different countries asking for the same thing to different customers just because they are no in touch with each other.

i dont know, i told them about this community and they tell me they cannot check the page. so what is the point about reporting the issue if nobody that should is looking at it? not quite sure they know if how many users are affected globally with the same problem.

at least to say they are unclear to me.

Jhinwxm

Hi Quinnicus

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

What annoyed me was their attitude on Friday. She said something like "we'll get back to you next week". It was very lax and there was zero sense of urgency and/or empathy. Aloof would be the way I describe my experience, bordering ignorance. They should be bending over backwards to help not fobbing customers off with vague timescales. 

I specifically asked on Friday to be updated today regardles, they haven't bothered to, so this is what I am going to take themn to task on later plus the fact its taking far too long in my humble opinion.

Their service is terrible, any company who actually cared would have sorted this out by now or at the very least kept people updated. I had to search the internet and just happened to stumble upon this thread, otherwise there is very little information out there.

So yes when I call them later I'm going to apply some pressure, its my right to do so. I don't swear or be abusive in any way, just firm.

I'm just not going to sit back and give them a free ride like many on this thread are. Its been days already!

They seem aloof and if as you say they don't get the info quickly maybe they should honour their promise to call me today for example then they'd get their information directly.

Extremely annoyed by this whole saga and feel like I have been hung out to dry by Sony. Their lack of attention is quite incredible. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vick18

As your case has been reported to Sony, Sony will add this to their contact management system as well as be passed on to the relevent people/department.

One of Sony's Tech support may well contact someone in the hopes that further information can be attained or try something - but I can really only guess on this.

In regards to informing Sony of this thread on the forums - I do not know why they said that.  It is a public website after all.  But I know for a fact that Sony staff can access and do read this forum.  I also passed this particular thread on to the forums manager this morning too.  But im confident that they are already aware of this thread.

Cheers

Kadlinko

@Kadlinko wrote:

Hi guys. In Friday I was talking with Sony support. Right now they sent me an email with link to new software update. In email they say that this should solve the problem.

But at the end of email they admit that it do not have to solve it. I will go home during lunch break and i will try to install new software. Then I will write what happened.

Hi guys. I tried to update new software with Sony support on my phone. Nothing happened. Stil green-orange diod and screen not working. Support person told me that he will contact Sony programmers and they will work on another solution. Hope they fix it soon. I will update my situation when there will be something new.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jhinwxm

I fully understand where you are coming from.  I too get annoyed and angry when a company promises to contact me back - and then dont...  So to me, why promise something when they have no intention of, like a 'fob-me-off'

Playing devils advocate here : it might be that they are awaiting further info before contacting you.  Its only just hit the afternoon now.  A guess?

Its all about effective communications isnt it.  Even if there is no update, its nice to be contacted for an update on progress.

profile.country.GB.title
vacalimar

I'm at work wright now, i got this mesage... see you later.

We are sorry to hear about your issue. Please perform the following in order to resolve it  :

1. Download the software package file from the support website for your model. Un-zip and copy the extracted software package file to the root of an empty USB stick (don't put the file in a sub-folder).
  2. Un-plug the TV from the Mains.
  3. Plug TV into Main and wait for 20s.
  4. Turn the unit ON via button on remote
  5. Insert the USB stick with software package into the USB slot located at the side of the TV set.
  6. A series of different messages will appear on the TV screen - follow the on screen instructions.
  7. First, the TV will copy update file from USB, then the POWER indicator will start flashing under updating process (White colour) (5 minutes). An Update Icon will be shown on screen under updating
  8. After approximately 30 minutes, the TV will reboot to complete the update.
    CAUTION: During the firmware installation process, do not remove the USB device, switch off the TV set or remove the power.
  9. When the firmware update is complete, a message is displayed on the TV.
    It is now safe to remove your USB device from the USB slot.

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

thanks @Anonymous

At least is good we are moving this thread to let people know.

I would like to know what are the steps this technicians are taking in order to sort this problem out.

When they tell you to "try something", it seems like they cannot reproduce the problem for themselves so they need you to test solutions. In which case is by far quite a hard way o approach a software issue

eathis
Explorer

Point 6 is hillarious. Considering the problem is a black screen, how on earth does anyone follow the on screen instructions?!