Join now - be part of our community!

More Memory for Apps

ConfusedX
Explorer

More Memory for Apps

I've a TV KDL-55W755C since a few weeks back and are relatively happy with it.

Though, the memory for storage is 8GB (ROM/Flash/...) and it's almost full already, with a few game apps installed (building up quickly). As far as I can judge from the information available from Sony (cannot find any) and what other members are discussing the memory cannot be extended. This while in the world of Android it would be the most natural thing to expect.

If anyone knows:

• Am I wrong? I.e. can the memory be extended to be able to install more apps?
  • If not possible today, when will it be?

I want to believe, that such a reasonable product like this, doesn't limit itself by not offering upgrade of the memory.

Any knowledgeable comment to this topic is most welcome.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What you are referring to is 'expandable storage'.  This is not possible under the current version of Android (Lollipop).  However, from my understanding, this feature will be implemented in the upcoming Marshmallow release (update ETA unknown).  However you will need a dedicated USB drive for this as it will be encrypted for sole use on the TV.

Even though this is for Nvidia Shield owners, i believe it will be much the same:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/917497/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-how-to-increase-...

Cheers