Join now - be part of our community!

New Sony TV with Google TV and confused

profile.country.GB.title
meyre76
New

New Sony TV with Google TV and confused

Just got a Sony TV that has Google TV on it. Haven't signed in with my google account. But reading through here it sounds like it's not recommended? That it's better to to get a separate streaming device like perhaps a Fire Stick? Or does it matter if I make a new google account just for the TV?

Do I need to do one or the other to get to use HBOMax or Disney+?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
llima27

I think it really depends on personal taste and preferences. I'm a Google TV fan. I used to have a Chromecast with Google TV connected to my old TV and now I use Google TV directly on my new X90J. It was in fact one of the many reasons why I chose this TV.

If you have a Google account, if you use Google services, if you don't have an issue with how your data is used by Google etc, then by all means log in. If, unlike me, you're not comfortable with Google knowing too much about you, then do not log in.

I'm not sure which limitations exist when you do not log in, though. I'm guessing you will not be able to install any apps from the Play Store, so if you want apps that don't come with the TV you will have to side load them.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey meyre76, you won't be able to enjoy any Google service without it, it is up to you but why purchase an extra item while all what you need is a Google account?