Join now - be part of our community!

No real 5.1 with KD-49xf8505

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Sebers
Explorer

No real 5.1 with KD-49xf8505

I have a new Sony KD-49xf8505 with a sound bar bose 700, a sub and 2 rear. The problem is: the rear left and Right signal are respectively playing with both  rear and front respectively left and Right Channel. And the front signal left and Right are playing respectively with both rear and front respectively  Right and left Channel.I use the arc (hdmi). The center and the sub are working well.

Have someone the same issue?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

You are most welcome. We are here for you, so feel free to post your questions at any time.

Cheers,

Dutchice

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Sebers, 

Welcome to the community.

There are some set up guides and troubleshooting tips here that may be useful.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Sebers
Explorer

Hello,

it’s doesn’t work.
The external setup who work is audio hdmi bitstream with dts or Dolby digital ( Xbox one with the same test with YouTube on the Xbox one): the test is ok!

But the same test with YouTube on the Android 7.0 is not good: can i setup the output with hdmi bitstream dts or Dolby Digital?

Thanks a lot,

Sébastien
profile.country.GB.title
Sebers
Explorer

Hello again,
I'll be a little more explicit.

So I bought this 4K sony TV. I was also already a Netflix subscriber. After purchasing this TV, I upgraded my subscription to the 4K version. But, to my surprise, my new smartTV only seems to deliver 3.1, at least via my applications installed on it!
What a frustration!
Let me explain: if I run a 5.1 YouTube test via my smartTV sony Android 7.0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqVCPE8_ntE😞 the test doesn't seem to distinguish the Front from the Rear: it is automatically only left and right like a 3.1.

On the other hand, if I connect an XBOX one in hdmi (bitstream dolby digital or DTS audio config) to this TV: with YouTube installed on the XBOX: impeccable wow, via the ARC HDMI of my sony tv to my home cinema set (dolby or dts). Same for Netflix installed on the XBOX one: its impeccable 5.1 with all 6 channels.

I would simply like not to use the XBOX one (and each time disconnect it and then reconnect it because it is not installed in the living room) of my children to watch Netflix (or YouTube or other) and use the application installed on the sony TV under 5.1 conditions.

Is this possible with this new 4K TV?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Sebers,

You have to understand that simply testing your 5.1 surround setup with a random app like the built-in YouTube app, will not determine whether or not there is an issue with your setup. 

The best way to test is to download a 5.1 Dolby Digital demo video then copy it to a usb stick and play it back using the built-in Video app by Sony.

For your information YouTube does not support multi-channel audio tracks as of yet. The likelihood is also very slim for the future, as there is not a market within its largest user groups (ie: mobile users) and most content on their platform is not well meant to be recorded/viewed with multi-channel audio tracks. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Sebers
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I still don't understand why this sequence on YouTube presents a perfect 5.1 multichannel sequence via YouTube on my Xbox one and only a 3.1 sequence via YouTube on my Android 7.0 (TV bravia sony).

I will try a file via usb key and via the sony application.

Have a good day,

Sebers

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Sebers,

Apparently YouTube is or has been maintaining the native multi-channel audio tracks for the uploaded videos which do contain them. However the native multi-channel audio track is only available in two of MP4A streams (ID256 and ID258). Which means that only very specific devices which have the ability to playback multi-channel audio tracks would be offered those specific streams. The rest won't be able to request and get access to those streams. Including your XF85 BRAVIA TV.

So in short, if what you are trying to achieve is to troubleshoot the correct playback of your surround setup, then proceed to place this test video (which is the same video from YouTube but with the right multi-channel audio stream) on a USB stick and playback the video using the built-in Video app by Sony to test your setup. But if what you are trying to achieve is to get the built-in YouTube app on your TV to playback multi-channel audio tracks from YouTube videos, then I suggest don't expect that to work.

Hope we have been able to help you out with your problem.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Sebers
Explorer

Hi Dutchice, Thank you for your quick answer. Indeed, with this file, it works fine. No, I don't plan to use YouTube much, it was just to check that the system is in 5.1 which I can't do with Netflix. My main use as an application is Netflix: you have reassured me about the Dolby Digital system and it is nice to talk to someone who understands the real technical issues. Thank you very much.
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

You are most welcome. We are here for you, so feel free to post your questions at any time.

Cheers,

Dutchice