Join now - be part of our community!

Optical

profile.country.GB.title
Scottmc1980
Explorer

Optical

Hi am wondering if anybody can help me I have a sony kd55xf9005 android tv and ive just got a sony surround mt300 and ive got a optical coming out of my surround to my tv and ive gone to settings to tv speakers swapped to audio speakers and i do not get any sound at all coming out of the sub and the surround only if I Bluetooth with my phone .

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Scott,

I'm not too sure, but I'll see if I can find some suggestions for you.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Scottmc1980,

if anything the optical comes out of your TV and goes to the soundbar (at least in terms of which way the signal flows).

Did you check which audio format your TV outputs its signal?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Andyg4536
Explorer

Hi there is an option on the headphone setting in SOUND menu to select sub . You could try selecting pcm just to see if you get stereo. Not sure if optical cables give surround sound. You might have to use the hdmi arc port for that

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Andyg4536 wrote:

Hi there is an option on the headphone setting in SOUND menu to select sub . You could try selecting pcm just to see if you get stereo. Not sure if optical cables give surround sound. You might have to use the hdmi arc port for that

Optical cables do pass surround sound, and the MT-300 does not have an HDMI connection, so this is the only way of getting surround to it.

However, it is only a 2.1 soundbar, so any surround effect will rely on the audio processing within the soundbar to give a psychoacoustic surround experience from the two speakers - 

the S-Force PRO Front Surround which Sony tell us ‘reproduces a virtual surround acoustic field for immersive, cinematic, powerful sound of stirring depth and clarity’.

Connecting the soundbar vía the headphone socket set to sub will make it operate in 0.1 mode :frowning2: - not quite what is wanted.

The soundbar audio is Dolby Digital True HD; it’s worth looking at the sound options for Optical Out on the TV to see if this is covered, but if not, your suggestion of PCM may very well do the trick.

@Scottmc1980, if still no sound out, have a dig for the Optical Out Settings in the audio menu.

On my Android set, these were turned down to a whisper, and wanted raising significantly.

There is also a setting in there to choose between fixed volume output to the soundbar, so you would have to control this with the soundbar remote, or variable, so you can control it with the TV remote.

I greatly preferred the latter, in the absence of the CEC/BraviaSync sound control possible over HDMI with those soundbars that actually have HDMI, which this one doesn’t.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…