Join now - be part of our community!

Random Android 7 TV reboots

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Random Android 7 TV reboots

I see a fair few old threads talking about random reboots back to the Android Logo, but none of them appear to have any resolution from Sony, just exasperated users complaining that nothing gets done about it.

It usually happens to me ( KD-65XE9005 ) when turning the TV on from cold, both when starting via the ARC channel via our Humax PVR box, but also when playing about with the Home screen/Youtube/TV apps etc . I'm connecting via a good wifi signal ( 60mbps ) for internet based apps and a signal booster between the aerial socket and the TV.

I've tried changing the HDMI cable to my Humax PVR and also disconnecting the PVR from the ARC HDMI and using HDMI 2 instead, and also completely disconnecting the PVR, but it still reboots even then.

Sony replaced my motherboard under warranty, in order to resolve the issue, in November 18 and it seemed to be ok since then, but lately its doing it all the time ( 8 times on Tuesday while navigating between Youtube, Sky News App and Amazon).

I've done the usual soft reset and recent factory resets ( lost all my apps ! ) a number of times but that doesnt help. Customer Support suggest that the repair people need to come out again, but if a motherboard change doesnt solve it, I cant see what good that would do.

Is there really nothing that can be done about this ? ( Software is up to date, but my Oreo update is not yet available, even though an Android 8 web guide has now appeared on my home screen showing what changes will come with it )

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Miscofi,

When it comes to the Oreo update, you can try installing it manually here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-65xe9005/download...

Try installing it and tell us the outcome.

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

I emailed Sony as my 4week old androidtv has just started randomly showing the white android logo when tv is off, they replied.

With reference to your enquiry, please be advised this this is normal as the Tv is checking for updates on standby.

These updates check can be disabled easily in case this android logo appearance is concerning for you.

If you wish to disable all the standby checks activities, please apply the below steps:

1. Home - Apps - Help - System Software Update - Automatically check for updates, switch it off.
  2. Home - Settings - Channel Setup - Digital Setup - Guide Setup - Update Guide on Standby - Off.
  3. Home - Settings - Channel Setup - Digital Setup - Technical Setup - Auto Service update - off.
  4. Home - Settings - Channel Setup - Digital Setup - Interactive Application Support, you will find three items, turn them all off.

Number 4 I couldn't find.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I'm now on my 2nd TV ( was given a replacement after two new motherboard s failed to resolve this). Each time I report the problems I get asked to perform all the standard helpdesk solutions like disabling channel guide on standby, removing all peripheral boxes, factory reset, bla blah. Nothing works.

Now I've had a replacement motherboard in the new TV and it's worse than the old one.

Now it fails to turn on without unplugging and doing a soft reboot every day, sometimes twice a day.

Plus random reboots all the time.

Plus it after being advised by Sony to use ethernet instead of WiFi, it says ethernet not connected, even though my laptop is connected by cable and is fine.

I've pretty much given up on Sony TV's