Join now - be part of our community!

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

adrianc02
Explorer

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

Android 7 is a big improvement in terms of responsive over 6 but does anyone know how to permantly decline the samba.tv application? I declined setting it up during upgrade but am being prompted to do so when going into the YouView TV guide after each time the TV has been turned on. I have tried stopping/disabling the application.

cheers

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
rfwilmut
Explorer

If you are getting the popup it means the app was already installed (I assume that for me at least it happened with the upgraid to Android 7 since I didn't get it before).

The app is by default enabled, but not actually doing anything (except providing this wretched pop-up). It can only actually do anything if you set it up fully, presumably providing a login and personal details - I don't know, I didn't get that far.

Following the procedure I outlined above will not start the app, simply disable it and hopefully remove the pop-up.

If you decide to go ahead an set it up you will apparently get all sorts of interesting distractions, principally in the form of additional information on your tabled or phone related to someething you've shown an interest in in a programme. Their video shos the example of a character carrying a fashionable handbag, and the viewer expressing an interest in this and getting information about it on their tablet, and an opportunity to buy it. I don't know exactly how this works, and I have no intention of trying to find out: I don't want my TV turned into a shopping channel. I would advise you to follow the procedure I gave - this won't start it up, just cripple it at the first stage of the process.

profile.country.GB.title
iaboard40

Thanks for this......wish I had read it 35 minutes ago before I wrote my question. Let us know if the pop up sneaks back ,,,,

profile.country.GB.title
DucatiIan
New

If it helps my approach of just force quitting the samba tv app and the three interactive tv apps and setting their notifications to off has stopped the pop ups and I never had to even start the install.
profile.country.GB.title
iaboard40

I followed the steps previously mentioned during install and I haven't see a single pop up since during about 6 on/offs so all looks ok with the recommended steps from Sony techs via the forum

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
got2avekayanow
Explorer

Thanks for this, hopefully it worked. I so regret buying this tv after having so long wanted a Bravia I was finally in a position to be able to afford it and I feel so let down. Not by the tv, that's fine but this android system which I have always avoided on the mobile by using windows phone (I know some people see this as just as bad but my experience is an ad free stable secure one let down only by the lack of support by ap developers) I am so concerned about the way this TV is going that I have bought a Samsung Smart 4K Blue Ray player which allows me to use this tv the way I want to, already I have to use it for catch up tv because I don't want to use youview and they've removed the iplayer demand5 etc apps from google play and now the only way I can see to use them is via youview. It's like I've paid Sony a lot of money to allow them to dictate how I watch tv and allow them advertise at me as they wish.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

got2avekayanow schrieb:

Not by the tv, that's fine but this android system which I have always avoided on the mobile by using windows phone

Just to clarify this... it is not the fault of Google or Android that those TVs are flaky as hell and that more and more bloat-/adware gets added. Sony and MediaTek are responsible for ruining the Android TV experience. You can find more about it in my in-depth review.

profile.country.GB.title
red_juke
New

I also had the annoying Samba TV Popup asking me to install it (with no option to decline) every time I switched the TV on.

Contacted Sony support who gave me the following fix:

- On the pop-up dialogue box select SET UP NOW

- Next, on the Enable Interactive TV information page select NEXT

- Then on the Privacy Policy Page select DISAGREE AND DISABLE option to disable Samba TV

- Select YES to confirm

After following the above procedure, I no longer get the Samba TV Pop-up

Anonymous
Not applicable

@red_juke - This question is going to be asked quite a bit I think.  Instructions have been added to the FAQs list as of yesterday.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-s-on-this-forum/td-p/2333989

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sufcrule
Explorer

Nice one - just done this and worked for me.👍

profile.country.GB.title
RoyMill2230
Explorer

It Appears that Sony are not intending to clarify what Samba is.

R McG