Join now - be part of our community!

Smart TV

profile.country.GB.title
GrahamR
Explorer

Smart TV

I’ve just installed my latest Sony TV, KDL-32WD756.   I have to say that i’m disappointed that the only tv catchup apps are BBC and Channel 5.

Will apps for ITV and Channel 4 be added any time soon?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi Graham,

We're looking into this for you now, and we'll be back in touch with a response as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Graham R,

I am certainly NOT an expert on either Sony TV's or Smart TV's of any brand (except that my little 24" samsung smart tv & LG 32" dumb tv are both crap), & I have no idea how old a 'Smart TV', yours is, so my apologies.

I have recently (Sept 2017) got a Sony Bravia KD-43XE8396 (4K UHD Android TV) which obviously has more 'channel apps' than yours.....but my Sony PS3 (bought in 2006?) has had BBC iPlayer, ITV/STV player, All4, Demand5, Youtube, Amazon Video, Netflix,  Blinkbox, Mubi, Now TV, and more apps, for YEARS, so I don't understand how 'yours' only has BBC & Channel 5??? That makes mo sense.

Is yours fully updated? (If you haven't done so) I would try to update it via ETHERNET rather than WiFi if you can - I would guess you have already, unless there is some Operating System fault - or setting - not allowing you to update it.

Goid luck

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
GrahamR
Explorer

The TV is new. There are other apps but only two tv catch up apps. Sony’s response was basically “Tough, it can’t be upgraded.”

Graham

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Graham R,

In that case I would get yourself either an  'Amazon Fire TV Stick' (£39.99 in UK) or '4k Amazon Fire' (£69.99 in UK) both of which connect to TV's via HDMI and get content via WiFi - which would (or should) allow access to 1,000's of apps - and I think both are powered via a 'micro usb to usb 2.O' cable. 'The Stick' comes with just such a 'micro usb to usb 2.0 cable' and usb 2.0 power plug.

I have 'the stick' for which I am also getting the 'Amazon Ethernet Adapter' - which also has a micro usb power 'pass through', to power IT and the stick, as my bedroom wifi is often crap.

I also have the very recently 'previous model Amazon 4k Fire TV' which has Ethernet AND Wifi, USB port, AND Micro SD card slot, connected to my Sony 4k TV.

Obviously, to access any PAY TV content on these two devices or the 'New 4k Fire TV' (including Amazon Video, Amazon Music etc) you need an Amazon Prime Account. Same goes for any other brand 'stick', 'box' or 'TV app' that needs an 'account' that requires payment for 'content' like from Now TV, Netflix, etc

'Apps' via Fire TV devices, include BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, ALL4, Demand 5, UKTV Play (excellent content but includes multiple 'NON pause-able ads' which can be a pain in the *****, because if you 'pause' for too long you end up with even more ads), Redbull TV, TED, Youtube, (Now TV, Amazon Music & Video, Netflix - paid for content), etc

There are multiple 'other' brands of 'smart tv/android tv boxes', but I don't have these, nor do I want any of them (I already subscribe to Amazon Prime and Apple Music, etc which is enough for me) so I have no comment about them.

Best of luck finding a 'solution'.

First Knight

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Thank you Graham R for the Kudos 👍

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
GrahamR
Explorer

Excellent advice First Knight. I actually picked up a FireTV Stick on Black Friday at about half price too.

Graham R

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Graham R,

I got my Fire TV Stick in a 'Black Friday' deal as well - for £24.99 instead of £39.99.

I am also getting the Amazon Ethernet Adapter - my bedroom Wifi is often quite slow, but via 'powerline plugs' it is at least a bit faster.

This TV is 'HD', so my 4k Fire TV is now used on my new 4k TV in the living room (connected directly to the router under the TV, so easily fast enough - most of the time).

A word of caution to ALL users of current, previous & future users of 'Amazon Alexa Voice Remote':

There is a 'Mission Cables MC24B' product for sale on Amazon, which is an 'Add-On' that attaches to this Amazon Alexa Voice Remote control, and which 'gives greater TV control' via 5 'programmable' buttons.

The battery for it is SEALED.

What kind of battery is it?

It is NOT removable.

It is NOT replaceable.

Who knows how long it will last?

It WILL eventually expire.

The unit WILL then become useless.

MY Amazon Alexa Voice Remote batteries do not last even two months for re-chargeable AAA ones, therefore I do not trust whatever tiny battery is in this device to last very long at all.

I am returning it as 'not fit for purpose' since £15.99 is not what anyone should pay for a 'disposable, non-recyclable, non repairable' item.

My OPINION is to steer clear of it.

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight