Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 49X8309C - vertical banding?

Hazaer
Explorer

Sony 49X8309C - vertical banding?

So I just got this TV, the picture quality is amazing, really happy about purchasing it. So my question is, does it have vertical banding or am I just too picky? I'm afraid that if I have to return it, the replacement might be worse.

Note that on the 3rd picture, those vertical bright lines on the far right side are just reflections.

http://s12.postimg.org/aqoursoh7/IMG_6634.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/kdsd1ihgr/IMG_6635.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/n41oype5n/IMG_6637.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

On the face of things, i cant see anything wrong.  Enjoy the TV.

Cheers

Hazaer
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. Not worried about it anymore now! :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

Hi Hazar,

Looks like DSE (Dirty Screen Effect), my 49X8309C is no better and also suffers from some corner light bleed. Basically the screen is an IPS type probably made by LG as is the John Lewis 49" UHD TVs which recenty got rather poor reviews in Home Cinema Choice, essentially due to the poor quality of the screen. If I had known it was an IPS screen when I purchased it in June I would not have bothered.

wpbm49
Explorer

Same televison bought in November...got a new one, less but still vertical bending. Today I complained, probally I'll get a new one.

profile.country.GB.title
Matrixcolin
Explorer

I have the same problem - and after raising a support call I was advised to do a factory reset and of course this did not fix the problem.  After sending a JPG image of the problem to them I was told that this is within tolerance.  I then posted on Sony's facebook page - got the same response. So I sent a video capture of the problem which clearly shows the issue - again I was advised that this is within tolerance.  Nobody was able to tell me what the tolerance is..  I then wrote to the CEO for costomer support saying that I have been a loyal Sony customer and purchased the 4K tv to get a better experience with my viewing.  I included a potted history of the problem and all I got was a short email response saying that he is sorry but this within specification.  Now my point is that if the saleman had said that this model performs within specification, I would have asked what that meant and probably would have walked away from the purchase.

This is a warning to potential customers - make your own minds up, but this is my last Sony product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Matrixcolin

Can you please reply back and attach the photo hightlighting the verticle band - Your post has got me curious.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Matrixcolin
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus 

i displayed a pure green JPG and then captured it on video showing the 4 corners (asked for by sony support)  You can see the banding as my camera moves left to right.  There are around 15 vertical bands.  They show up more on green backgrounds but now that I know they are there I see them against blue sky scenes etc.  This is very noticable watching green based sports such as soccer and snooker, but is not a problem when watching films and regular tv.

Cheers

Matrixcolin

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

This is "uniformity" and there are no settings to adjust. It is a kind of hardware issue.

The cause could be:

• Faulty LCD itself. Low quality LED in combination with a low quality diffusion layer that can easily be affected by improper pressure while assembling or by temperatures created by different CCFL Backlight panel lamps.
  • Faulty Inverter board giving different values of high voltages(650VRMS) for each set of Backlight lamps.

profile.country.GB.title
Matrixcolin
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the comments - just as I thought.  My major complaint is that Sony deny that there is anything wrong with it.  Have never sent anyone to see it first hand.  Quite disgraceful for a well respected manufacturer.

Cheers