Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Branded Me as Incompetent

profile.country.GB.title
Pat100

Sony Branded Me as Incompetent

I wrote a review of my new Sony KD-55XG9505 TV. Sony added their comments to my review, suggesting that the weaknesses in their system which I mentioned did not exist and were down to my incompetence. 

In fact, their comments are incorrect. These weaknesses do exist and the “help” that they offered does not fix them. They even admit to them in their own documentation. 

My review:

http://www.haggistogo.com/public/review.pdf

(And their comments)

Here is their own (very well hidden) documentation explaining that screen size settings are, in truth, unavailable on 4K HDMI input:

“Article ID : 00204640 / Last Modified : 27/06/2019

Why can't I change the Wide Mode Settings on Sony's Android TV?

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article

Applicable Products

Televisions & Projectors

Android TVs (BRAVIA OLED)

Android TVs (BRAVIA)

This may occur on your TV due to the following:

Wide mode settings aren't available during a 4K playback from an external device such as a Blu-ray Disc™ player, game console, etc.”

(Access to wide mode settings is necessary for zooming)

Regarding CEC sync, there is no setting: “Allow External device to turn off TV set” 

Looking at Sony Android’s history, I see that CEC misbehaved on many early implementations so I guess that Sony “fixed” it by simply disabling that CEC option in their CEC implementation. 

I’m annoyed that Sony simply whitewashed these problems and suggested that I was wrong by offering solutions that don’t exist. They should own up to Android’s shortcomings and not try to rubbish anyone who finds fault with their product. 

These missing features existed on my Toshiba and Samsung sets. 

Has anyone else had their reviews whitewashed?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

Scart never allowed a VCR or satellite receiver to power off the TV and the TV could never power off the VCR or satellite receiver via scart.

Scart simply had a voltage signal pin so if you turned on the VCR the voltage on pin 8 told the TV that the scart input was required and the TV flipped to that AV input. If another device turned on, the TV would flip to that scart AV input.

HDMI and CEC seems flakey in comparison, it sorta works most of the time in as much as selecting the right HDMI port automatically on the TV. Sometimes one device can control another which is handy but I'd prefer simple 'scart like' signalling that worked reliably.