Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-55x7053 - How to change to 10 bit to view SKY HDR Movies

alf1e456
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD-55x7053 - How to change to 10 bit to view SKY HDR Movies

Hi there

I'm sure my Sony Bravia KD-55X7053 is 4k / HDR compatible.

I've just purchased SKY Q with UHD Cinema.

When trying to view the HDR films I get a message on Sky box to say these are unavailable to me.

The UHD work fine.

I called  Sky and they say my TV is not set to "10 bit"

On the Sony website it says for my TV .."Your TV will detect HDR automatically when Scene Select is set to Auto, and the HDR content has the HDR information flag.

My TV is set to Scene Select Auto.

I've tried to change the input to 10 bit on the TV options but can't see where to do this?

Also, when I try and look in "Screen" under Options I can see PC/DCI 4k settings but all the Screen options are "greyed out" and I can't click on them.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Assuming your actual tv model is KD-55XE7073 you should check your TV manuals for setting correctly the HDMI connection (to Enhanced)

HDMI signal format:
Standard
Standard HDMI format for normal use.
Enhanced
Set only for devices supporting HighQuality HDMI formats such as 4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2.
Be sure to use a Premium High Grade HDMI Cable that supports speed of 18 Gbps bearing the HDMI logo.
(Refer to the specification of the cable).
Note
• HDMI IN 2 and IN 3 only

alf1e456
Explorer

Hi rooobb

Thanks for replying.

The model number on the back of the TV is KD-55X7053  (as sold by John Lewis) not KD-55XE7073  -Here is a link to the TV in question - https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd55x7053-2020-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freev...

I'm using HDMI port 3 and a quality cable supplied by SKY.

I think this is my main question .... The manual says "to enjoy 4k 50p/60p set the HDMI signal format to enhanced".

I can't see in the manual how to change the HDMI signal to enhanced? 

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry I was reading x7073 that is a variant only of the XE/XF/XG models of previous years..

In any case the setting is identical, you can find it in the manual here https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/gaepl3/v1/en/060nhm-06-01-06.html in the AV setup section

alf1e456
Explorer

Hi rooob

Please bare with me.

in the section you mention it just says change to enhanced. 

But I can't see how to change from Standard to Enhanced?

HDMI Signal Format:

Standard

Standard HDMI format for normal use.

Enhanced

Set only for devices supporting High-Quality HDMI formats such as 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2.

Be sure to use a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable that supports speed of 18 Gbps bearing the HDMI logo.

(Refer to the specification of the cable.)

Note
  • HDMI IN 2 and IN 3 only.
  • Change to [Standard] if the picture and sound do not output correctly in [Enhanced].

Where do I go on the TV / preferences / options to change the AV settings?

Thanks

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry but I don't have your TV model so I can only look at the manual:

it should be on this path

settings

System settings

setup

av setup

Hdmi signal format

alf1e456
Explorer

Hi rooobb

Done it !!!!!

Changed the AV input to ENHANCED on HDMI 3 and now i can see all the HDR films on Sky Cinema.

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Good!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ alf1e456, thank you for updating the thread, could you mark it as resolved please?