Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55-AF9 Oled TV Problem

profile.country.GB.title
MysteryMan99

Sony KD55-AF9 Oled TV Problem

I have a KD55-AF9 Oled TV, which has developed a strange problem. I will be contacting Sony Support on Tuesday as, I think, it is going to require an engineer to visit but thought I would post here in case anyone has any suggestions for anything I could try.

We use the TV mainly to watch a Sky STB, connected by HDMI and on Wednesday evening we switched on as normal, but, there was nothing displayed. You could pull up the "Input Select" screen but nothing you select (TV or any HDMI inputs) displays anything - just a blank screen. Youtube comes up with an error message about the internet. Pressing Apps or Home does nothing. The only button that does anything is Google Play and this allows you to select a movie and play a trailer.

I tried unplugging, waiting 5 mins and plugging back in but this made no difference.

On Thursday morning I thought I would just try again before calling Sony and it was back to normal!!!!! It was fine for when we used it in the evening, too.

On Friday evening we sat down to watch it and got the same problems we had on Wednesday and today (Saturday) it is just the same - blank screen!

Any suggestions or does it sound like a Sony engineer is the only option?

By the way, it is just over 3 years old and still covered by 5-year warranty.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

If you can get the TV to turn on at all you should do a factory reset which can be accessed through your

Home> Set Up> Customer Support> Factory Settings (or similar)

More than likely though the TV needs servicing/ repair, as it is still under warranty from the retailer

you purchased it from then you would contact them first.

Sony usually only provides a one year warranty, so they will refer you to the retailer.

profile.country.GB.title
MysteryMan99

Trying to avoid factory reset as the TV has been professionally calibrated and will be a balls ache to make all tweaks again! However, this may be necessary at some point.

I spoke to the calibrator last night and he tried to help but concluded it will need a call to Sony to investigate and if a new main board or screen is required then a fresh calibration is also needed......be interesting to see if Sony will cover the cost of this, but, i suspect i know the answer.

The set is covered by Sony 5-year warranty, which it is still within, and the retailer years 6 & 7.