Join now - be part of our community!

Sony refuse to repair my TV under warranty

Sony refuse to repair my TV under warranty

We bought a KD-55XD9305 TV in august last year one night we were watching it and it made a popping noise and then lines appeared on the screen. Sony stated it was not covered under warranty as it was 'physical damage' since the tv was installed less than 12 months ago it has not been moved or damaged in any way shape or form (we have no children or pets either who it was suggested could have caused the damage). It is in fact in perfect condition with no marks on it.We were told we could pay £65 for somebody to come out and look at the TV which we did and were told that we would get a report. When the engineer came out he said the screen would be replaced as it looked like the LEDs had blown. when chasing up the report they had obviously since changed there opinion as we were told it was physical damage and that the cost to repair would be approx £1,300 - however we can buy the same TV brand new from Currys for less than £1,000. To me it seems as though not only are Sony trying to rip us off by not honouring the 5 year warranty (which is not worth the paper it is written on ) but will also rip us off through the repair as we will pay more than if we bought the TV again brand new. Message here is pay £1,650 for a brand new to but expect it to cost you £3k by the end as the warranty is pointless. I am very disappointed in both Sony, there repair centre and there customer services who I can't even find the details of to complain to - if anybody has these details please pass them on to me? Or if any body else is experiencing the same problem I would love to know 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Contact the retailer who sold it to you and see what they say.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

What company did the engineer work for?

Around us it the crappy Regional Repair Centre. Who eve it was ask for a copy of the report.

Go and see citizens advice asap.

profile.country.GB.title
Caermead

@HannahFuzy

Hi, that sounds like *****e, have a read through this :-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

From which retailer did you buy it ? Also try & publicise the problem on social media. You also mightwant to watch this thread :-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/xd9305-loss-of-all-power/td-p/2266186

Regards & best of luck