Join now - be part of our community!

Standby power consumption

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Standby power consumption

I started to measure power consumption in standby with an EdiMax SP-2101W and FHEM software.

First test I have done is with optimized settings like:

Remote start: disabled

Automatic software downloading: disabled

plot2.jpg

There are easily 50-100 wake-ups per night which might sooner or later upset the PSU.

At least with those optimized settings, it went to deep sleep for the first time about half an hour after switching off the set (going from ~20W to 0.5W).

This test was done with the antenna cable unplugged. It might very well be that the TV therefore fails to update the EPG/services, retrying every X minutes.

@Anonymous @Peter_S. Maybe you guys can find something out about Sony standby behavior? That does not look too healthy...

Next night I will try with antenna cable plugged in.

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

What in the blue hell do I need notifications for on the TV? And why do I need them in standby with a resolution of 3-4 minutes? Total BS...

Somehow the notifications in Android TV are very different from mobile. As you already know, disabling the notifications in SonyShelf removes the whole "Featured apps" section in the Leanback Launcher.

I suspect the notifications ON in other apps will enable the Suggestions for those apps. Actually that's what they do indeed. I just tested it. I checked disabling the notifications in Radioline and its suggestions disappeared. After enabling the notifications again I had to start radioline to have the suggestions showing. But yeah, I have no clue what the notifications in general are meant for.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter I am not sure if that fixed it for good, as I don't remember if I had it active before the reset, but enabling "Scanning always available" (something like that in English. The one for the geolocalization) and the TV wired now the IP connection doesn't seem to drop.

Hopefully that won't consume more than 3W per hour...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Anyway, talking about the Radioline app, when I switch off the TV (with IP Control OFF) and Radioline playing, switching the TV on Radioline starts playing immediately, as if it blocks the Deep Sleep staying in foreground. Since you have the tools, any chance you can test the power consumption of that as well? I find it odd that an app can bypass the Doze witjout authorization. Well, I suspect yet another bug.

TuneIn Radio behaves exactly the same. And guess what? 20W the whole night. So apps can indeed block deep sleep. As I already wrote, I think one has to manually stop playback before switching off the TV. I will try to find out what it takes to make the TV sleep again.

So it is mostly radio/music apps that might block deep sleep alltogether..

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:
TuneIn Radio behaves exactly the same. And guess what? 20W the whole night. So apps can indeed block deep sleep. As I already wrote, I think one has to manually stop playback before switching off the TV. I will try to find out what it takes to make the TV sleep again.

So it is mostly radio/music apps that might block deep sleep alltogether..

As I thought. Still that shouldn't happen! Now I am not exactly sure how the Doze function works in Android (from 6.0?), because the Xperia have its own Sony's Stamina mode, but in my phone unless an app has been put in the white list Android stops its execution while sleeping.

As a white list is needed mostly for messaging apps, like Whatsapp. Which always keep the network alive anyway, draining a bit more the battery. A TV sure hasn't the need to keep any non system app alive. And I don't like the idea, if that is the case, to leave to the devs the decision if their app can stop the deep sleep. Once I turn the TV off it must use the least possible amount of energy.

Unless, sure. We can add the Doze to the list of messup made my Mediatek...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I now paused music in TuneIn Radio before switching off the TV. TV went into deep sleep again. So as I said, it is probably best to stop all playback before switching off the TV or deep sleep might be blocked. Truely a bad TV OS.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

All standby issues are documented now, see here.

@Kuschelmonschter I am not sure if that fixed it for good, as I don't remember if I had it active before the reset, but enabling "Scanning always available" (something like that in English. The one for the geolocalization) and the TV wired now the IP connection doesn't seem to drop.

Which setting do you mean? Can't find it.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Which setting do you mean? Can't find it.

In Android 7.0 it's Options/Network settings/Scanning Always Available:

Bravia_2017-09 18_11.01.18.png

I'm quite sure it was there in Android 6.0.1 as well. Again, since turning that on the sleep seems to be back to normal. The network does disconnect (tested via ping/adb/bluetooth/etc), but it reconnects immediately. "Remote start" instead has always been active. And that says in the options it consume a bit of energy. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

OK, found the option. It at least does not harm deep sleep behavior. So it does not block it. So you should be safe to use it.

Remote start is a total disaster in my home network:

remotestart.png

At 23:00, my NAS switches off for the night. Before that, it keeps waking up the TV. The TV toggles between shallow standby (20W) and deep sleep (0.5-2W) every few seconds. So wake-ups are even more dramatic.

I found out that Bonjour on my NAS causes this behavior.

So use Remote start with caution.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I found out that Bonjour on my NAS causes this behavior.

So use Remote start with caution.

Well, given that with "Scanning always available" OFF it goes in the deepest sleep I doubt "Remote Start" does much in my LAN. Still I don't use "Remote Start" much, I can as well turn it off. Maybe that is what I had before the reset, "Scanning always available" ON and "Remote Start" OFF and then I inverted them. Not that it makes much sense that with "Remote Start" ON the network intefaces go off and there they stay for a minute or two after waking up...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Well, given that with "Scanning always available" OFF it goes in the deepest sleep I doubt "Remote Start" does much in my LAN.

Bonjour is an Apple service and you run a Mac based server. So I would not bet on that :wink: .