Join now - be part of our community!

Storm flies in my KD-65

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Storm flies in my KD-65

Hi guys,

I was performing some setups in Kodi today when I noticed one black spot on the TV.

So I look closer and I saw HORROR : A storm fly manage to get is way inside LCD.

So I put a bright picture and I check all surface and there are 3 of them for now !

So TV is 8 month old. If the LCD is no "flyproof" I can't imagine is state in 5 years...

Did anybody know Sony policy about stormflies ?

Technically I think the only option is to replace the TV

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No, Unfortunately I do not know their policy on this, only dead-pixels.  I can escalate this to Sony Support on your behalf if you want?  Or you could contact the retailer you purchased it from and claim warranty repair etc.  :bug:

Let me know anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Thanks Quinnicus,

I will check by phone with Sony Support on monday morning...

I found an old thread on internet with a guy having same issue on a 40in and got it taken care of under warranty.

Right now this 3 bugs are the only thing I can see on the TV :-(((

I prefer deal with Sony more than the retailer because I bought it on a store in Paris, I live 100 km from it and have nothing to carry the TV.

More over TV is wall mounted (with cables in the wall). So I prefer to have a Sony tech coming home and dismount it (2 man work) and do what they have to do.

I hope warranty is gonna work good because flies making there way in the screen is clearly a design or building flaw (screen should be perfectly factory sealed)

If anyone got same problem and wants to share.

I will update from my side when I can reach out to sony (monday at 9 !!!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Let me know how you get on. There has been a couple of threads on this forum over the years in regards to insects/flies etc, but they never post back on the resolution.  So I am curious to know too.

Cheers

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

OK so as promissed... monday morning update !!!

Sony hotline opens at 9PM so I called them at 9h15 (so they have the time to take coffee ^^)

I give the numbers in France if they can be of any use for a French fellow (they are public on Sony website) : 0155695127

I had a woman who takes all my informations : name / phone / mail /model /serial...

She then create a ticket...

To tell me then that I need to call an other number because thez are customer support and don't deal with HW at all, only guidance to manipulation with TV on software support...

So OK 2nd call to the number she gave me.

Still for frenchies : 0155903141

So it's a subcontractor (Name is Cordonweb) who is dedicated to HW support for Sony, samsung Philips and so

http://www.cordongroup.com/fr/partenaires-cordon-electronics.html

I am kind of surprised that I have to deal with Sony subcontractor directly and that customer support is not handling it.

So I explain my problem to the technician. It didn't look so surprised so I think they are used to it (bad sign ?)

Again phone / name / adress / mail / serial / model.

He create me an other ticket in their system and gave me a mail adress to send documennts :

They need pictures of the bugs (detail) and a picture showing entire TV (whole frame) powered on and the invoice.

Then they are gonna check with Sony commercial services (not technical, I think they need an agreement of support) and then get back to me.

Guy tells me that Sony generally answer them quickly but he didn't gave me time frame neither tells me if it's generally positive 😞

Anyway you can see the pictures now that I have them so here they are :

1 insect right2 insects leftTV complete.jpg

Will see as it goes (if needed I'll take your offer of escalation Quinnicus)

But for now I am kind of disappointed with Sony...

In 7 month I have the TV I had Network speed issue (which is not solved but improved a bit with latest update). We had the long story failing Marshmallow update and now the bug crisis.

I begin to think that this TV is only gonna bring me troubles...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the update.  In regards to getting the TV fixed, Sony do indeed outsource to other companies.  Its named ASC (Authorised Sony repair Centers).

Cheers

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Yes of course I guessed that Sony was relying on local repair centers on each countries with network of local technicians / supply chain...

But what surprises me is that they don't stay in the middle handling back-office with their outsourcer.

I believed that Sony will be my only correspondant and then they will check with their supplier and then with me... managing customer relation.

Here they sent me to third party wich is gonna check with them and get back to me...

So I have 2 phones numbers, 2 tickets number... it's not very clean...

Anyway really hoping things go smoothly with agreeing exchange and so (I read here and there hawfull stories of appointments not met, broken tvs on arrival...)

@Anonymous : what do you think of the pictures ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you mean and I agree with you - the handling should be from Sony (start to finish).  I will take this up with Sony as an improvement suggestion.  Although the person to contact about this is on leave this week, so ill ask him next week.

In regards to your photos - it does seem to be some type of insect/bug.  Bug in an Android TV (LOL) - sorry couldnt help it.  And it certainly would be annoying as they are also relatively close to the middle of the screen too.  Im sure this can be sorted.  I cant see why not.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Yeah the bug joke was surelly an easy one considering Android TV integration by Sony (postpones / rollbacks / live with it)

I could have make the joke if my life was not such a drama ^^ (not only TV I am really cursed for 2 months)

Problem with this insects more than their position is that contrary of dead pixel, one insect can cover 6 or 7 pixel at once so it's really clearly visible (if I had a dead pixel I would also be mad anyway) but 3 bugs equal approx 20 pixels

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

OK last news for today (and at least until 05/07).

As I am not kind of patient and I had no news, I called the contractor again few minutes ago to have some news.

They received my mail and everything is OK.

The guy told me that as the problem is pretty obvious with multiple insects and close from TV center they don't need to wait from Sony approval.

So they are gonna replace the TV.

2 options now : 1) They still have xd9305 in stock and they send me the same or 2) They send me a new model (finger crossed)

I will know in few days. If they call me it's they don't have it and propose an other model and if they don't call they send me the same.

Anyway replacement could take 7 to 10 days.

Other problem, tech noticed that TV is wall mounted and they send only one tech so I ask if he can help me to plug back cables and hang TV and normally they don't take responsibility of hanging TVs so I have to ask if he wants to help me.

For me it's a nonsense if TV is hang, replacement one should be installed the same even if they need to send 2 techs.

That's details (important) but details...

See ya in few days