Join now - be part of our community!

Storm flies in my KD-65

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Storm flies in my KD-65

Hi guys,

I was performing some setups in Kodi today when I noticed one black spot on the TV.

So I look closer and I saw HORROR : A storm fly manage to get is way inside LCD.

So I put a bright picture and I check all surface and there are 3 of them for now !

So TV is 8 month old. If the LCD is no "flyproof" I can't imagine is state in 5 years...

Did anybody know Sony policy about stormflies ?

Technically I think the only option is to replace the TV

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully it all goes to plan.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

OK so I told I will not update...

BUT COMMON SONY !!!!

Not that it is a enormous problem now that they agreed to replace the TV... Yesterday evening we watched Orange is the new black and at the end of episode... 3 NEW INSECT IN THE TV 😞

How is it possible that everyday 3 bugs get in ?

So now I have 6 (3 in close middle other in surroundings)

I live in countryside but my old 10 years Samnung (in bedroom) doesn't have a bug in it nor the TV in the kitchen.

So yesterday I took the vacuum and put it near the TV and vacuumed any little insect I can see.

But it's a war I can't win because sometimes I have to leave the TV alone to go to work or sleep or be with my family ^^ (maybe I need to hire a bug catcher)

So now I am scared that the same thing could appen to new TV. Is it a build flaw (tape roll not properly apply, glue missing) or scarier a design flaw on the entire XD9305 lineup ??? (only Sony knows)

To reassure myself I will go to supermarket this noon to buy lemon aroma, lavender aroma, a electic diffuser, chemical compountd and a vodoo doll.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be that the insects are breeding inside the TV itself, hence the additions of the little critters.  But sounds like that either the repair centre need to give the TV a good clean inside and remove the ones already there or a TV replacement.  However its also a good idea to give that area around the TV a good dose of:

imageGen.ashx.jpg

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

OK Guys so little update 😉

Got a call yesterday and small disapointment... It's not gonna be a new model ^^

Bigger disapointment : It's not gonna be new... it's refurbished... so I will need to be very carefull inspecting the TV when they bring it to my home (65 inch is a big surface to inspect).

I don't want to sound rude but my TV is as new as possible. It has been hang from begining and nobody touched it so not any scratch nor fingerprint nor nothing.

And other surprise my TV needs to be unmounted before intervention and they are not helping me hanging it back (confirmed by phone)... will see because if he wants to leave with tv he will need to help me detaching it I am not doing there job.

And lastly... intervention is for tomorrow between 8am et 4pm... they can not be more precise... so I have to 1 day vacation just to be home waiting !

Franckly I am not that happy the way Sony manage it's support (despites the fact they change the TV)

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

I had storm flies/fripps/thunder bugs get into a computer monitor screen, I left them alone and when they died and dehydrated they completely vanished. They are so small after dehydrating there is next to nothing left and fall out of view.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Yes, I agree with @tractor9. I had the same issue years ago whilst lving in France. Thunder files crawled in to my Toshiba TV. I called Toshiba and started fussing about a repair. But the dead bugs eventually dropped off the screen never to be seen again.  

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Yes agree with you guys but depends of the size of the bug and is position in the TV and inside the TV (its not the same if the bug is between backlight and LCD or between LCD and glass).

I have a thunder fly in my smasung desktop monitor for years now and it never moves neither dries neither fall and I still see it everytime I use the computer.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Anyway monday morning update...

So tech bring me the TV as promised on Friday.

He was unclear if it was new or refurb.

He arrived in the morning, helped me to unmount my TV and mount the other (thanks).

It was "touch and go" 15 minutes top

Then I didn't do anything with TV because I had to go to work.

So in the evening I came back home and setup android and cleaned a bit fingerprints all over the frame (as recommended by Sony with a dry sunglass cleaning sheet).

And looking closer I saw that the replacement TV has lots of defects and cosmetic fails.

- There is a bubble near frame on top of TV

- Backlight is darker on 5 mm on right side

- Anti reflection treatment is damaged on left side and bottom where TV is in contact with polystyrene

- Scotch on the bottom looks applied by drunk...

That's exactly what was scaring me but in the hurry of the morning and all the fingerprints I didn't see well the extend of ***** of this new screen.

So I took pictures and this morning I sent them to Sony sub contractor to see what they have to tell about this "new" TV.

I told them that "refurb to new" doesn't mean that TV should have that much cosmetic defects...

Waiting for there reply.

Here are the pics of new TV Left side up

Left side down

Bubble

bottom

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

As I had no news after my morning mail I called the sub contractor this afternoon...

So after 15 mins of waiting I had a guy who was not aware of my mail... then he searched a bit and found it and read it while I was waiting...

He agreed that it is not normal and that refurb TV should not have visible cosmetic problem (maybe on rear of TV but not on panel).

So he has to check with his N+1 and with Sony to see what they can do for me.

Should expect news in a day or 2 and if not I need to call them again to check...

How many effort do I gonna need to put in this case ??? who knows ! Hope I can solve all this before leaving for summer vacations in 2 weeks !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the updates - frustrating isnt it when things do not go to plan and you got to constantly chase things up.  I agree though, that this refurbished TV should never have been sent out in that condition in the first place.  Makes Sony look like idiots to be honest.

Fingers crossed :fingers_crossed: