Join now - be part of our community!

.thumbdata3--1967290299 huge file 3.47GB

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

.thumbdata3--1967290299 huge file 3.47GB

What is the purpose and WHY there is not an option to clear?

Can be seen with ES File explorer in:

/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/.thumbdata3--1967290299

3.47GB is too much for a thumbdata file !!!

- Show hidden files must be enabled in ES File Explorer - Settings - General settings - Display settings

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MiCal1967

Appologies for missing this thread :slight_smile:

Ive just had a look in my thumbnails - and I dont have any.  I dobt even have a .thumbnails folder in DCIM, even after enabling show hidden files.  I did do a factory reset a couple of months back snd have not used content from the TVs USB port - which is the only thing i can think of for thumbnail data that is outside of the OS.

Unless you have another theory?

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Anonymous

I am sorry too because I had not seen your answer in August.

This file existed and was found by an option inside ESFile Explorer.

This was not inside an external USB drive.

Could be an issue related to an app, possibly Kodi, or a sum of apps and in combination with a firmware update became huge.

I have not seen this ever since.

Just reading today about aoriol and cache clearing, I remembered again.

Could be something related that caused also his issue.

I remember also that I deleted this file with ES file Explorer.

profile.country.RU.title
axelr424

I found such file at DCIM/.thumbnails/ - 4.8 GB

It was created by Album

Tried to clear data and cache (was 4.8 GB) of Album in preferen- now cache is clear but file still exists

Non of file browsers can not delete it - don't have permissions

Via ADB also permissions denied

How can I delete this without hard reset?

P.S. 43w808c Android 6.0 (3.885)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

That DCIM folder drove me mad a couple of times with my Xperia phone as well. It is created by Album indeed and it has nothing to do with the Android caches.

In my phone it seems I can delete it (no permission required), but as soon as I open Album is there again (I just did for testing). With a reported total space of nearly 500MB. Also it seems that the space used reported can be somehow fake. You should check how much used/free space you have in the internal memory. If the used space is lower than the space used by DCIM, or in any case not compatible with all you have installed plus the space used by DCIM, forget about it.

I mean, in a way we should have the permission to delete it, but the way the file permissions are managed in Android TV seems to be different from Android (for sure for the external "SD cards"). Album may have granted write (thus delete) permission only to itself and in Android TV I don't know if we can bypass it.

profile.country.RU.title
axelr424

Jecht_Sin написано:

You should check how much used/free space you have in the internal memory. If the used space is lower than the space used by DCIM, or in any case not compatible with all you have installed plus the space used by DCIM, forget about it.

It's available 537 MB of free space... so I can't forget about it :slight_smile:

I had'to delete some app to be able to install ES File Manager to try to delete this thumb...  

Jecht_Sin написано:

I mean, in a way we should have the permission to delete it, but the way the file permissions are managed in Android TV seems to be different from Android (for sure for the external "SD cards"). Album may have granted write (thus delete) permission only to itself and in Android TV I don't know if we can bypass it.

This file is in internal memory (have no usb-stick or HDD connected)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

axelr424 wrote:

No, no, I know it is in internal memory. I am saying that for sure we can't delete anything on the external USB devices (due to the lack of the hidden Android file manager needed to grant permission) . But I am not sure why you can't delete that folder in the internal memory.

Actually.. You know what? Now I give it a look.. And this is the result on my XD8099 with Android 7.0:

I have the /sdcard/DCIM folder (/sdcard is a link to the internal memory). It's empty and I can't manage to produce any .thumbnail. But I did manage to delete the whole DCIM folder in adb shell with the command "rm -r /sdcard/DCIM". Now not even the DCIM folder gets created.

Nope, I really don't know what's going on.

profile.country.RU.title
axelr424

Jecht_Sin написано:

axelr424 wrote:

But I did manage to delete the whole DCIM folder in adb shell with the command "rm -r /sdcard/DCIM".

Unfortunatelly it doesn't help me...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I see you're with Android 6.0.1. Maybe it's bugged. Or you may try to change the permissions of DCIM with

chmod -R g+w /sdcard/DCIM

which I have just tested and obviously gives an error (Operation not permitted)... If you post the output of "ls -la /sdcard/DCIM/; id" maybe I am able to help you. For example I get:

BRAVIA_ATV2:/sdcard $ ls -la /sdcard/DCIM/; id                                 
total 16
drwxrwx--x  2 root sdcard_rw 4096 2017-08-27 11:37 .
drwxrwx--x 12 root sdcard_rw 4096 2017-08-27 11:37 ..
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=2000(shell),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readproc) context=u:r:shell:s0

Otherwise you may try to fix it now giving the commands:

chmod 771 <file incriminated>
rm <file incriminated>

Where <file incriminated> is one of the files very large in size.