Join now - be part of our community!

Unstable Internet connection

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Davy2020
Explorer

Unstable Internet connection

Problem resolved for Sony Bravia KD43XF8096.

The following maybe useful information :-

I changed my ISP from Plusnet standard fibre to Sky Superfast fibre (of course with a new Sky router) and then the internet connection problem started.

After this change, when watching terrestrial tv, the message "not connected to internet" immediately followed by "now connected to internet". Strangely this would occur at 30 or 60 minute intervals or multiples thereof. When viewing a streaming channel the effect is to stop  or interrupt the streaming.

After going through several tests etc. (e.g. Ethernet cable connection instead of WiFi, Soft reset, factory reset, splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz router bands, update the TV software) all to no avail, the solution was to disable IPv6 on the LAN side of the router. This was all led by the Sony tech people.

I also have a Sony Bravia KDL-32W653A and a Amazon Firestick 4K neither suffered the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Davy2020
Explorer

Hi,

For your information I am using WiFi with disabled IPv6.

Additionally , I did query with Sony about a fix. The exchanged messages were:-

"... I am curios that, as IPv6 is to be the future standard that my KD-43XF8096 TV seems to be incompatible with it.

Will Sony be updating the software or is it a hardware issue?"

Response from Sony:-

"In regards to releasing a new software, we recommend if you can pin the support page below and check it periodically for updates:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xf8096 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Thanks for your feedback, having the W6A no problem just confirm the issue with IPv6 tv/router incompatibility since 2013 models do not even support it

profile.country.GB.title
Butcherbird
Explorer

Same issue with KD55AF8 turned off ipv6 on LAN side of Sky router works perfectly why don’t Sony issue a patch to prevent this happening or update their fault finding on web site this appears to be a common fault .

Connected by Ethernet cable to router I presume this will work if you connect by wi fi

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Butcherbird Be aware that this is a problem with a Sony TV connected to a Sky router, so how do you know it is a Sony fault? My own A1 is working flawlessy with IPv6 on a Fastweb router....

It still could be a Sony fault though

profile.country.GB.title
Davy2020
Explorer

Hi,

For your information I am using WiFi with disabled IPv6.

Additionally , I did query with Sony about a fix. The exchanged messages were:-

"... I am curios that, as IPv6 is to be the future standard that my KD-43XF8096 TV seems to be incompatible with it.

Will Sony be updating the software or is it a hardware issue?"

Response from Sony:-

"In regards to releasing a new software, we recommend if you can pin the support page below and check it periodically for updates:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xf8096 

profile.country.GB.title
Butcherbird
Explorer

They don’t seem interested in answering your question !!

profile.country.GB.title
Butcherbird
Explorer

True had similar problem with BT they upgraded the router and all worked ok without altering any settings until I went to sky as you state probably an issue with sky router