Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade SoC ATV 1? 2015 & 2016 models

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

Upgrade SoC ATV 1? 2015 & 2016 models

I own a Bravia XD8505. The TV itself is nice and we are happy with its picture quality. We are using the Android TV interface for pretty much everything we do on the TV, and here is the limitation. The Android TV it self works well, but so slow that I have newer seen anything like this before. 

The question is if it would be possible to upgrade the SoC in the TV, like buying a new board of some sort? The TV is just a couple of years old and it would be a punch in the face for the environment if we had to Change the whole TV-set every third year or something just because the SoC gets outdated. Specifically on this TV where the SoC is so sluggish from start compared to the quality of the rest of the TV. 

Is there or could Sony think of any update program for the ATV1 series? I would gladly pay quite much for that. It would be a step in the right direction to save the planet as well. 

Tags (5)
14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Oh my god! Nah it cannot be this slow! Never ever. If I got it rights it skips also frame on the DVBT while doing something on the remote

You should definitively do something about it. I do not have at hand anymore a 2016 model, but it cannot be like this

You'll find a lot of material on the internet but I suggest you to try resetting, disabling Samba and other stuff like this (i.e. you view that run in any case in background even if you are not in uk) than activate the developer menu and start fixing max background job to 2

I do not know if it was my impression on the video, but you may have some problem also with the remote, I didn't see the led flicking always when you struck the button and it should (unless you set it up differently)

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

Yes, this is how slow it is I'm afraid. No the TV is not answering to the remote when it's that unresponsive, the TV freezes almost in seconds of time. 

I will try another reset when I have some time, also disable things, I have seen some guides, but never tried to.

It's good to hear that it shouldn't be this slow, then trere is hope. I have lived with this speed in three years now.

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

Ok, now it's just to realize. The Sony XD series with ATV 1, is a big piece of junk that should never have been sold. It makes me disappointed and frustrated every single day since it's crappie SoC makes the TV a pain to use. 

I have now done a factory reset and also uninstalled and disabled a lot of apps with the ADB-method. Still its so slow as soon I press a button on the remote that the complete TV gets on its knees and freeze, a TV that freezes as soon you change volume, using the TV guide or other basic functions, how is it even possible???

I now give up, the TV will torture me for another five years or so until it's economically motivated to buy a new TV, that will probably not be a Sony. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry I do not know what else suggest to you, but even if I do not have an XD series I do not know any other person that has a tv so slow as yours....

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

I don't know either, that's way I asked for an upgrade of the TVs hardware that I think is the only solution, which probably newer will happen.

The smart-TV functionality on the ATV 1 equiped Bravias is completely unacceptable, and I'm so mad at myself for not returning the TV when I could, since I found it all to slow from day one and I knew back then that the 2017 models (XE85) would get a new SoC that at least is a little bit less slow. It's a shame that a premium brand like Sony accepts crappy SoC like this one from Mediatek, that actually was obsolete already from the beginning. I wish I had made more research before my choice of TV, and not listening som much to the seller from Sony in the store. I never understood that it was the same old SoC in the XD85 model as in the XC85. 

Now I solved this by order a Nvidia Shield TV pro, and I'm really satisfied except from that it doesn't support HDR in YouTube (yet). But yes, with the Shield Android-TV works like it suppose to, also with continuous updates (the Shield from 2015 still get those to). 

My Idea with buying a TV with Android-TV inbuilt was to eliminate the need for external boxes, but with a Sony Bravia equipped with the ATV1 SoC, it is more or less a must to get a decent user experience. The difference is huge I can tell. 

Next time I might try a TCL TV that now on uses Realtek instead of Mediatek. That makes it possible with faster OS updates and longer OS support since the Realtek drivers are open source with no need to wait for new closed drivers from the maker af the SoC every time a new version of Android-TV arrives.

So, my advice to all of you, like me, is disappointed over your expensive nice premium TV, buy the Shield or some other fast external Android-TV equiped unit, it's worth every cent!