Join now - be part of our community!

VLC player stutters when showing a new part of the subtitle

profile.country.NL.title
FlowRush78
Explorer

VLC player stutters when showing a new part of the subtitle

I recently bought a new Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005 Android TV. When streaming mkv videos from my NAS using VLC player the image constantly stutters ('hangs') briefly when a new part of the subtitle (a new line of the subtitle text) is shown on the screen.

I've tried to alter every setting, mostly in regard to subtitles, codecs and hardware acceleration, but nothing seems to help.

I really hope someone can help me out with this, thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I also use NFS shares on my Synology NAS for media. I once tried with the jellyfish encodes and I could go beyond 100mbps over AC WiFi.

Interesting. I tried with SMPC/NFS the 90, 120 and 200 Mbps HEVC videos. They all stream without stuttering (but dropping frames I suppose) at nearly 12MB/s. Constant. TV always wired.

So why with other contents it's a pain??

EDIT: Never mind. I forgot to check the source of the library. It was WebDAV indeed. With NFS I get 5.5-8.5MB/s.

profile.country.GB.title
phil1980
New

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but VLC is bugging me as well.

Unfortunately this seems to be a VLC issue, not a Sony/Bravia one.

The subtitle stutter is present on other Android devices as well.

Solution I found so far: 

Turning off subtitles.

Or use MX Player or the build-in Video.

Downside of the former: no network streaming

Downside of the latter: no volume normalizing, so normal conversation might be quite low, while action sequences get super loud.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @phil1980 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Yeah VLC seems to have let itself go a bit.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that MX Player would play files /codecs  that VLC

would have problems with on my tablet.

profile.country.GB.title
phil1980
New

It also seems that DVD aka VOBSub subtitles (which are stored as images) do not cause stutter, while text based ones like .srt do.

So converting and remuxing them might be a workaround if you must use VLC.